• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Success In Yahoo/msn, But Nothing In Google?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jacamar

Jacamar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

Hi,
I have recently redesigned my site, including optimising for a new keyword phrase. It's gone straight to 1st page on both Yahoo and MSN, but.... is nowhere to be found on Google for the same keyword phrase. Have checked the site against Google's guidelines, tweaked a couple of relatively minor issues that may or may not have caused problems, submitted to Google for reappraisal, which they have done, but we still don't exist in their results for the keyword phrase (we do fine in Google on other keywords and are indexed for 51 out of 52 pages). I don't understand how we can do brilliantly in Yahoo / MSN and not exist in Google? Any advice?

#2 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:43 AM

This question has gone round and round and round and round!!

It just does not seem to occur to 'people' that Yahoo and google..even MSN (by the way..now known as BING), are 3 DIFFERENT SE's.

Thus DIFFERENT algorythms, Thus different criteria is required and structured and...THUS means different rankings!!

What works in G flops in Yahoo.

What NEVER works in bing, rocks in G but flops in yahoo....aww stuff it don't need to say anymore!!

You get the picture....and so it goes on and on! dash3.gif

unsure.gif

#3 Jacamar

Jacamar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:52 AM

I do of course understand search engines work on different algorythms. However, I don't think this can be the reason - when I compare my very carefully crafted page with the REALLY random results that do appear from say, 4th, 5th pages and further back on Google, it makes NO SENSE that they should appear and my page not (the page is several years old). I would value hearing other reader's views on what might cause this to be so?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,375 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

Maybe your "carefully crafted page" isn't quite as "carefully crafted" as you thought biggrin.gif

But don't go looking at other pages and hoping to find out why? 'cos you never will.

It's simply that those pages have got more factors right, than yours have.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,655 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

As a general rule, I find that making some changes on a page is often enough to move that page up in Bing or Yahoo, but not in Google. For Google, you also have to deal with off-page stuff. Have you made any changes to the way any of your other pages link to the page in question?

#6 Jacamar

Jacamar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Ahhh, yes I have renamed a couple of pages as part of my revamp. I was intending to redirect these to my new, equivalent pages. The old pages did appear in certain searches within Google, so I shall get that sorted straight away and see if it makes any difference. Many thanks.

#7 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

On reading your post, the same thing that jumped out to chrishirst jumped out at me as well: "carefully crafted page"

That doesn't scream quality content but "carefully crafted" wizard.gif ...and poof, you disappeared. magic.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!