• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Organic Results Vs Ppc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crlannen

crlannen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

A business owner has come to me for SEO work. Normally I don't do PPC unless it's very new site that has a lot of competition and all he is doing is focusing on his current PPC results as he hasn't had any click thrus in over a week.. This person has good geotargeted organic results (depending on phrase always in the top 30, but mostly top 10 or 20), and I know that I can improve his results by adding/slightly rewriting content, and improving his title and meta description tags.

However, I have not been successful obtaining any information from him on his site stats (number of visitors, keywords, keyword phrases, etc.) He is so focused on his PPC ads and getting higher on Google maps in the business directory.

Doing a site redesign so he can easily add more content and an attractive design with specific calls to action.

So does anyone have any pet phrases beyond you shouldn't rely on just one thing aka his obsession with his PPC?

Thanks!
Chris

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:20 AM

How about this one...

Unless he is very, very, very skilled at what he's doing with his PPC now, he's spending a lot more money for traffic than he needs to be. lol.gif

Seriously, 99.9% accept most or all of the base instructions without ever testing anything at all, or for that matter even having a clue what the PPC traffic is costing them per click. Let alone what their Cost Of Acquisition is for the PPC traffic. I've seen it waaaaaaaaaay too many times.

Should everyone be using PPC and methods other than plain old SEO to bring them traffic? Without a doubt. Eggs, baskets and all of that.

But that said if someone follows the rest of the sheep in their PPC marketing they're probably paying at least twice as much as they need to be to attract traffic that converts. And likely never know how much they're paying to begin with.

#3 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Feb 17 2010, 09:20 AM) View Post
But that said if someone follows the rest of the sheep in their PPC marketing they're probably paying at least twice as much as they need to be to attract traffic that converts. And likely never know how much they're paying to begin with.

Hear, hear!

If people knew half of the censored.gif G enters you in for, people would be shocked!

G is a business people seem to forget that aspect, BUT that doesn't mean you should not question certain things.

G will take your money all day long!!!

I Still LOVE PPC though!!

unsure.gif

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

I Still LOVE PPC though!!

Oh, me too Kaz. Gotta make this abundantly clear since it's the truth.

Just like with organic SEO there are literally a thousand ways to conduct profitable PPC campaigns. And just like with organic SEO following all of the sheep probably isn't going to get you there as quickly or cost effectively as possible. wink1.gif

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Feb 17 2010, 04:11 PM) View Post
And just like with organic SEO following all of the sheep probably isn't going to get you there as quickly or cost effectively as possible. wink1.gif

yahoo.gif indeed!

#6 crlannen

crlannen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

I had someone send me the following phrase: "Money spent on PPC is money flushed down the toilet, money spent on organic SEO is an investment in the future success of your web site."

He's hosted with GoDaddy and currently using their Website Tonight, and being familiar with GoDaddy's stats they don't offer a lot of concise information.

And thank you to everyone who responded.

Chris

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

I had someone send me the following phrase: "Money spent on PPC is money flushed down the toilet, money spent on organic SEO is an investment in the future success of your web site."

While that can be true for some sites, those who know what they're doing can often make paid search very profitable.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:38 AM

What Jill said.

Or if I wanted to be a bit meaner I'd guess that the someone who said that was literally following all of the rest of the sheep to slaughter, doing exactly what the folks charging them have told them to do, then been Shocked --Shocked I Tell You!-- that their ad spends were more than they'd hoped they'd be.

PPC campaigns need to be tailored to each market and each site. And you have to really pay attention because the devil is in the details. That means you need to have solid tracking set up both on the front and back end, as well as some tracking set up that will show you ROI on either a keyword phrase and/or ad group basis.

PPC is one of those where the details will make or break you. That take time and a daily commitment to stay on top of things. It does take some skill also, but the skills can be learned. It's the commitment that gets most folks.

Once you have this part nailed the rest comes down to thinking outside the box about how to use the PPC marketing to its best effect on your bottom line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!