• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

The Unbelievable Ppc Offer...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

One of my clients emailed this to me (of course I replaced anything trackable).

CODE
A guy called from xyz company, http://xyz_ppc.whatever and said for $80 set-up and $125/month he could keep mycompany.com in the top 3 sponsored links 24/7 for the some region region on any "keyword phrase" search.  Do you have thoughts on this?  Do you want to call him with any questions?

I emailed him back that I am highly skeptical of claims like this. I said something like, "Generally speaking, if it sounds too good to be true then either you don't have all the information, you haven't asked the right questions, there is a catch (a contract) or something else gives. The Metro Region - is it defined the same to you and to him?"

Simple math tells me that $125/month does not amount to much at .25/click. How can you lock in a 24/7 full month ad?

Feedback?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Because they're geotargeting they can do it on the cheap and still make money. Most likely there won't be a lot of clicks, so the ppc company gets mostly pure profit.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 15 2010, 09:01 AM) View Post
Because they're geotargeting they can do it on the cheap and still make money. Most likely there won't be a lot of clicks, so the ppc company gets mostly pure profit.

Geotargeting?

If there is a post that talks to this, point me and click. What type of search would be a geotarget search?

boston metro widgets
boston widgets
cohasset widgets
some boston_metro_city widgets

Is this a function of the sales person doing the salesperson bit and praying on easy pray? Just need to make sure that I am on firm ground in suggesting that the offer may be laced with cyanide.

Edited by bobmeetin, 15 February 2010 - 11:43 AM.

#4 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(bobmeetin @ Feb 15 2010, 04:23 PM) View Post
Is this a function of the sales person doing the salesperson bit and praying on easy pray? Just need to make sure that I am on firm ground in suggesting that the offer may be laced with cyanide.

There is a way that this is entirely possible (even without geo-targetting), but it requires extensive knowledge of the "inner workings" of the GO-ad dashboard.

I am pretty much a loud mouth when it comes to people spouting clap-trap-cack! But, knowing what I know, I suggest you at least hear this guy out bobmeetin, as it is entirely possible and entirely legal.

unsure.gif

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

Well since they said:

he could keep mycompany.com in the top 3 sponsored links 24/7 for the some region region on any "keyword phrase" search.

Yes, they'd be for things like Boston Widget, etc.

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

I google "GO-ad dashboard" but didn't see a result that stands out.

With this particular service, the key phrase alone will return zillions of results, many pages of truly relevant results. It's a local service type relevant in most cities, particular large metro areas such as Boston or Philly or Denver.

To get the most opportunity would they need to target:

"widget busters Boston"
"widget busters Cohasset"
"widget busters Salem"
"widget busters Foxborough"

etc?

Jill are we talking apples to apples? Is this representative of what you said, that geotargeting is cheap but won't get many hits?

It seems to me that this is the natural type of search to force regional and applicable results.

The bottom line is whether or not it's worth the gamble.

#7 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(bobmeetin @ Feb 16 2010, 03:34 PM) View Post
I google "GO-ad dashboard" but didn't see a result that stands out.

Er...GO-ad is my abbreviation for GOOGLE ADWORDS......????

GO-ad has a dashboard, interface, control panel...G's BS closet.....any of the 'fore mentioned will do..preferably the latter!!

unsure.gif

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

The bottom line is whether or not it's worth the gamble.

If it's cheap enough, why not test it for a month and see.

It's doubtful that it can be worth it, because then the company wouldn't make any money off of it. You'll probably learn what the "catch" to the whole thing is once you start working with them.

#9 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Jill, that's pretty much what I suggested, firm ground withstanding. The big emphasis being on no commitment, no contract.

Go-AD - I'm familiar with Google Adwords and the dashboard but never thought that Go-AD was a reference to it. Familiarity does not breed expertise of course but I know enough to get around and set it up, although I really prefer to work organic methods. Also, when I am working with a client who has a tighter than shoestring budget I'm very conservative in paying for experimenting on their bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!