• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Link Building For A New Website

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

We have a 10 month old site and we hardly have any backlinks. We are looking to build some backlinks. I've read somewhere that if you build too many backlinks too quick for a new site it is not good at all.

Is our website considered new site?

How many backlinks in a day or month will be considered too may?

When people say quick what do they mean by that?

I would be grateful if you could help me out here. I would like to do this properly.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

If you're building links manually there is really nothing to worry about. When they say Too Many -> Too Fast they're talking about getting hundreds or thousands of links over a very short period of time when there were none before.

The only way that's going to happen is if you use something automated to flood link spam or if there is significant buzz created by a more manual process. And even the buzz wouldn't cause the site to be penalized, because the large number of links would be far more natural occurring.

Long story short, stay away from high levels of automation when building links.

#3 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

One more question.

What is google trust?

I have been advised that we have to build google trust with our domain.

Does it mean if our domain indexed, google trusts us or we need baclinks form high PR domains for google to trust us.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

we need baclinks form high PR domains for google to trust us.

That one. Well more that you have to have links from other sites Google trusts, rather than from high PR sites.

#5 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

thanks jill.

How do we know or identify a trusted site?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,458 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

You don't.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ Feb 14 2010, 02:11 PM) View Post

Do they show up in the search results for lots of search queries that relate to what they offer?

#8 wendell

wendell

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ Feb 14 2010, 02:11 PM) View Post
thanks jill.

One idea you might want to try is to identify what Google considers to be an authoritative website within your demographic. So for example, If wanted to know who Google considers to be the authoritative websites within the search term "cross trainer shoes," I'd go to Google and type the following:

site:com cross trainer shoes

Many of the websites that Google considers to be authoritative within the .com domain groupings will appear in the results. You can change the "com" to whatever domain you would prefer to use like "net," "ca" or whatever else you're interested in.

To take it further you could do a back-link check on those authoritative websites using Yahoo!

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,458 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

Well that a new "theory" someone has come up with.

Shame it's pretty much a complete load of tosh!

#10 wendell

wendell

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Feb 14 2010, 06:26 PM) View Post
Well that a new "theory" someone has come up with.
Shame it's pretty much a complete load of tosh!

With respect, there's a better way to indicate that you don't necessarily agree with my opinion. Is it a "load of tosh" because you've never tried it before? Or is it because you've never heard of it?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with identifying who the authoritative websites are within the demographic you are targeting. To be honest with you, your response is so lacking in detail that I'm not sure what it is you find is a load of tosh.

#11 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

This is the only quote I have burnt into my head (Warren Buffet supposedly said that):

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult"

Simple solutions are often the best.

Why type in site: .... or go to yahoo and do a backlink check, when you can quite simply type the keyword into Google and see which websites' pages Google ranks at the top, as Jill suggests?

If Google considers a website important, I bet Google will want to display it at the top of their search results, anyway?:-)

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,458 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

Oh certainly, the search works and returns results, but it works merely as a filter to remove non-specified TLDs from the results at whichever datacentre you results happen to be coming from.

It does NOT show "trusted" or "authority" pages for any particular phrase. Merely pages from your chosen TLD that "rank" for the phrase, NOT the same thing as "authority" or "trust".

The hypothesis is about as valid as stating that @www.site.tld or +www.site.tld returns ALL backlinks to any particular site.
Maybe we will see a certain well known "SEO expert" site have an impressive article and lots of pretty graphics explaining how it must be true at some point.

#13 cruise05

cruise05

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

Sorry to jump in..what is the importance of relevancy in link building? Isn't a link a link?

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

what is the importance of relevancy in link building?

Depends upon exactly what you mean by relevancy.

If you're asking about site-to-site relevancy and talking only about the SEO value of links, it's not important at all. In this case a link is indeed just a link. Note however that when you stop thinking about links in terms of SEO value only and start thinking about links that drive actual qualified traffic, site-to-site relevancy becomes a good bit more important. The idea being that if you place a link on a site where the users already there make up the same people in your target market, you're likely to get more customers directly from those links.

If on the other hand you're talking about link anchor text relevancy, it can become quite important both for SEO and in driving traffic. The idea being that the anchor text should and usually does tell the search engines and human users something about the topic of the page being linked to. So the words in the anchor text should be relevant to the target page of the link, because the anchor text ends up being credited both as text on the page that is doing the linking and on the target page.

#15 kieronhughes

kieronhughes

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(cruise05 @ Apr 6 2010, 12:02 PM) View Post
Sorry to jump in..what is the importance of relevancy in link building? Isn't a link a link?

Haha, that'll definitely get people talking on an SEO forum wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!