• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Placement

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Hi,
I'd like to find out if keyword placement in the title tag of my homepage is important or not? And what I mean by that is do I need to place my keywords more towards the beginning of the title or is anywhere in the title tag ok?

Finally, I'd like to find out if there is an ideal or maximum number of keywords that you should try to optimize your homepage for? Like is it best to limit the homepage title tag to 2 specific keywords (or phrases) or is including say 5-7 keywords (or phrases) ok?

Thank you for your advice.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:17 AM

The "home" page is just a page like any other page on the site, so just use the same as you do for every other page.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

I like 10-12 words and about 3 keyword phrases.

I don't worry so much about first words, but that's a tricky one to say for sure.

Everyone has their own preferences for Title tags, however, so I suggest trying different lengths and numbers of phrases and see which seem to work best for you.

#4 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 13 2010, 08:51 AM) View Post
I like 10-12 words and about 3 keyword phrases.

I don't worry so much about first words, but that's a tricky one to say for sure.

Everyone has their own preferences for Title tags, however, so I suggest trying different lengths and numbers of phrases and see which seem to work best for you.

I actually have 12 words in my title tag focusing on 3 keyword phrases. The site ranked decent before the "Caffeine" update and now instead of sitting on page 5-6 for 2 of the tough keywords I'm back at page 11. mf_tongue.gif I seem to stay on page 2 for perhaps the toughest keyword. Which is good. It's just frustrating. wacko.gif

I noticed the site that is probably the best in my area choose to focus on only two of my three keywords and uses about 8 total words in their title tag. I've been wondering if instead of focusing on my homepage for 3 keywords if I should let some of my other pages be given a shot at showing up for the other 2 keyword phrases and just use my homepage to primarily focus on my major and most important keyword? But then again I wonder if the page 1 ranking is that much better than a page 2 ranking? I mean, I would think so but it's hard to guess how much better. I've never been on page 1 before. unsure.gif

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

I've been wondering if instead of focusing on my homepage for 3 keywords if I should let some of my other pages be given a shot at showing up for the other 2 keyword phrases and just use my homepage to primarily focus on my major and most important keyword?

The only way to know is to try it and see.

Let us know how it goes! smile.gif

#6 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(SteelersFan @ Feb 13 2010, 03:05 AM) View Post
And what I mean by that is do I need to place my keywords more towards the beginning of the title

It makes a difference....all I can say from a personal angle is..it makes a noticeable difference.

unsure.gif

#7 ChaibiAlaa

ChaibiAlaa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

Yes, It's very important, when you search on google, don't you see that searched keywords are shown bold on results titles ? It just that google care about what is putted on titles wink1.gif

#8 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(ChaibiAlaa @ Feb 13 2010, 04:50 PM) View Post
Yes, It's very important, when you search on google, don't you see that searched keywords are shown bold on results titles ? It just that google care about what is putted on titles wink1.gif

They're bold because these are the terms the person was searching for. The title tag is important, but the bolding has no meaning other than to point out what the search terms were for this specific query.

#9 kieronhughes

kieronhughes

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(SteelersFan @ Feb 13 2010, 03:05 AM) View Post
Hi,
I'd like to find out if keyword placement in the title tag of my homepage is important or not? And what I mean by that is do I need to place my keywords more towards the beginning of the title or is anywhere in the title tag ok?

Finally, I'd like to find out if there is an ideal or maximum number of keywords that you should try to optimize your homepage for? Like is it best to limit the homepage title tag to 2 specific keywords (or phrases) or is including say 5-7 keywords (or phrases) ok?

Thank you for your advice.

In my experience I haven't noticed any difference when placing keywords at the beginning or the end of the title string. I generally target 2 or 3 phrases (or 'keywords') in the title tag, ensuring the length is no longer than around 65 characters.

#10 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

Google will index up to 95 characters and display 70 maximum. If your title includes a word that would split at character 70, it will truncate and show "..." I think yahoo is in the same ballpark, but don't quote me...

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

Google will index up to 95 characters

Really? How do you know this?

#12 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 14 2010, 10:32 AM) View Post
Really? How do you know this?

I made up some test pages with varying title length, then waited (not for Godot) and did quoted searches. Unless they have changed within the last year and a half, I'm pretty sure.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Interesting, thanks!

#14 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Did you test using [site:domain.com "text"] or [site:domain.com intitle:"text"]? I've found that if you're searching on the 12th word in the title tag or beyond, the page won't be returned for an intitle search. Weird, I know, but Google's been doing it for years now.

#15 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 14 2010, 11:29 AM) View Post
Did you test using [site:domain.com "text"] or [site:domain.com intitle:"text"]? I've found that if you're searching on the 12th word in the title tag or beyond, the page won't be returned for an intitle search. Weird, I know, but Google's been doing it for years now.

First thing - why did I come up with 70? I did a simple google and looked at many results pages, did the anal retentive thing for any that looked pretty long and counted the characters. I believe I found a handful that ended at 70 and of course lots that ended at 60 something plus dot-dot-dot.

Then I made up a couple test pages with words ending at exactly 70 characters, also around 95-100. I think that I read somewhere someone suggesting around 100.

After the pages got indexed, I did "quoted searches" on the exact phrases. I believe that if I entered a quoted phrase that went beyond 95 characters I drew blank stares.

The test is probably due to be repeated; perhaps when my prayers are answered and they extend the day to 28 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!