• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Density "bubbles Up" To Home Page?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Hello, folks --

Usual objective: want to get higher rankings for a specific keyword phrase. (Let's say it's "bubble gum")

My home page is currently ranking #7 in Google for "bubble gum". I'm planning on running my page through an optimization tool for recommendations on keyword density in title, etc. (I'm fully aware of the importance of backlinks - the scope of this post is on-page factors only.)

My question is this:

If I have many other pages on the website already optimized for "bubble gum", does any of this "keyword juice" bubble up to my home page? Or is the benefit indirect and only to the extent that these pages link back to my home page and pass pagerank?

Bigger question: is each page in fact an island, or do the search engines make some sort of collective assessment of all URLs within a domain?

TIA,
Eric

#2 davebob spongepants

davebob spongepants

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

The "keyword juice" does not really "bubble up" to the home page (except through internal links with "bubble gum" as anchor text per your example). Each page does really stand alone in Google's eyes but if you have more than one page with identical page titles and very similar KW focus you stand the chance of one of those pages being treated as "similar content" and dropped down to a lower ranking. It is always better to have unique keywords for each page wherever possible and make each stand out as it's own island of information about a topic. This translates to unique page titles, alt attributes etc.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

First, I highly suggest NOT using a tool such as you mentioned. There is no special keyword density that is better than any other for your pages, so you'll receive incorrect advice from the tool.

Next, I would say that no, having your particular keyword on multiple pages won't gain you any advantage. But having the keyword on multiple pages of the site in anchor text that points to the page you're optimizing for the keyword will help.

Others who believe in "theming" may disagree with me, however.

#4 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

Thanks. I'll focus my on-site efforts on increasing the number of internal links pointing to home page with "bubble gum" as anchor text. (I'll won't go hog-wild with these.)

Keyword density at the page level, or keyword occurrence at least, is still very relevant within the text of the page and especially within title, h1, etc., though, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!