• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Home Page Url Redirection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rowena

Rowena

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

hi,

I need some clarification on something please.

Someone just told me 2 things i should do to almost instantly get better seo results:

1. to automatically redirect the home page url to the main domain (ie www.example.com/index.asp to www.example.com), and

2. the domain without the www should automatically redirect to the domain with the www (ie example.com should direct to www.example.com)

This person i have just spoken to has made it seem that this will make a drastic difference.

Please can someone let me know whether this is important at all, and if it is, is it that important that it will ensure drastic improvement on seo results?

Your help with this would be greatly appreciated

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

It probably won't give you a huge boost. Rather it's one of the basics -- just something to check off on your list of things to do. What it accomplishes is to make sure you don't have the issue of search engines seeing a document at two (or more) URLs and treating it as multiple documents that have the same content. If you've got links pointing to domain.com/, www.domain.com/, domain.com/index.asp and www.domain.com/index.asp you want to make sure all of those links are counting together and increasing the strength of the one page.

If the site has been around for a long time, there's a good chance the search engines have already figured things out, in which case setting up the redirects isn't likely to change anything, but it should be done anyway.

#3 Rowena

Rowena

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:01 AM

thanks so much. this makes alot more sense now.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

It will most definitely not make a DRASTIC difference.

Scary how people characterize some things.

#5 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

also remmember there is the canonical meta tag which G! has implemented to ensure all ways of getting to your 'home page' or any page for that matter have the PR passed to the 'preferred' method.

#6 ttwblb

ttwblb

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

So you mean that if you have a homepage that is at www.abc.com/index.html, in the head tag at index.html you put this?

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com" />

And now anyone who links to your site using http://example.com or http://example.com/ will be counted by Google as linking to http://www.example.com, is that right?

Also,

QUOTE(1dmf @ Feb 11 2010, 06:12 AM) View Post
also remmember there is the canonical meta tag which G! has implemented to ensure all ways of getting to your 'home page' or any page for that matter have the PR passed to the 'preferred' method.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

That's sort of the idea behind the canonical rel Barry. That and making sure you don't have duplicate content on multiple pages, which can often happen with some of the more automated publishing systems.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Yes, but it should be a last option, only if you can't "fix" it through other means.

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

And while this might be no more than a matter of semantics, the search engines are treating rel="canonical" as more of a suggestion than an order. Then again, Yahoo often seems to treat a 301 as a suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.