• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Java Script, Mouse Move Tracking And Seo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Gates

Andrew Gates

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hi, I'm going to track conversion on web site and thinking about tracking visitors clicks on links and mouse moves. Is there any possible problems with SEO? I heard that java script events like onclick is not good for SEO.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,608 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

The only major issue with JavaScript is that search engine spiders are like browsers with JS turned off. But if you're only using scripting for tracking user behavior it shouldn't be a problem. If there are any elements of the user experience that involve a script, a search engine is going to fail to pick them up, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're planning on doing.

#3 Andrew Gates

Andrew Gates

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 8 2010, 02:12 PM) View Post
The only major issue with JavaScript is that search engine spiders are like browsers with JS turned off. But if you're only using scripting for tracking user behavior it shouldn't be a problem. If there are any elements of the user experience that involve a script, a search engine is going to fail to pick them up, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're planning on doing.

Thanks, yes I need it only for visitors, not robots. But I found some article (maybe it's old) saying that it could be a problem http://andybeard.eu/...09/onclick.html
They saying that onclick event dont pass pagerank for page where visitors clicking.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,608 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:30 AM

That post refers to standard links (<a href="url">) that also happen to contain JS for the onclick event. There was some paranoia concerning such links, and I think it's generally accepted that the paranoia was just paranoia. I don't think there was any logical reason to believe that links like that wouldn't be followed.

I can think of two ways a script can screw up a link for SEO purposes: if the link relies on a the script (that is, without the script you have no link at all), or if the script causes the link to do something other than what it would do without the script (like if the href of the link points to one URL, but the script sends the user elsewhere). The first example would be bad code from the perspective of spiderability. The second would be deceptive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!