• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Effects Of Ip Address On Seo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krisflex

krisflex

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Hello,

Will exchanging links with websites having similar IP address have any negative effects ?

Regards,

#2 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(krisflex @ Feb 6 2010, 01:20 PM) View Post
Hello,

Will exchanging links with websites having similar IP address have any negative effects ?

Regards,

Why will those websites have a similar IP address? Try to put yourself in the shoes of google - will it be a highly unnatural pattern? or is this something that could have easily occured if you were a webmaster who has no idea that search engines exist?

If you try to game the search engines by getting links from a bunch of websites hosted on the same server for example, then that's probably not a good idea; as you do not want to scream at the search engines "I'm doing SEO" let alone "I'm trying to game you" wink1.gif.

What I'm trying to say is - I think you should give a bit more context so people can give you proper advice.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

No.

It's possible they won't count for as much as those outside of your IP range, but it depends on whether it's just you creating links for yourself or if the links are really votes for your site.

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

I think the only downside is that anything a bit "Dodgy" will be detected far earlier than if they were significantly separated IP wise.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,669 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

A bit of real world interjection rather than the usual guess work.

Our servers are all in the same datacentre so are all in the same IP block, on these servers a large majority of our clients link back and forth to and from each other, because most of them are in the same business. Entertainment. We have agents, artists, publishers for these artists and agents, web, media and graphic designers for these artists and agents. It's an insular world (almost incestual biggrin.gif) for them.

Linking back and forth often from the same IP never mind the same block, doesn't appear to have any ill effects for these sites, BUT they do get plenty of links from outside the "family".

Now if all of your links (or a statistically VERY high proportion) came from a SMALL IP range there may well be cause for further investigation, but lets face it doesn't seem to harm wordpress.com sites or blogspot/blogger sites does it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!