• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Noindex/nofollow On All Cart/checkout Pages?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsimon

jsimon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hello,

I read this article, Secure Pages, Shopping Carts and Duplicate Content, by Michael Gray in December. He wrote:

Use a “noindex/nofollow” meta tag on all of your cart/checkout pages.

But I'm wondering, can a search engine spider even get to these pages? Just like a spider can't fill out forms, and can't use a pull-down menu, the only way for a SE spider to get to these pages of my website is to add something to the cart. So, should I really be doing this?

Thanks.

#2 Hank Cowdog

Hank Cowdog

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:Chair, Den, Wylie, Outside Dallas, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(jsimon @ Feb 4 2010, 10:29 AM) View Post
But I'm wondering, can a search engine spider even get to these pages? Just like a spider can't fill out forms, and can't use a pull-down menu, the only way for a SE spider to get to these pages of my website is to add something to the cart. So, should I really be doing this?

Yes, it is worth doing this: many sites have a link to the current shopping cart contents, which would not require a form submission to access.

Also, some site create an "Add to Cart" link on the product details page, which again would not require a form to execute. Without blocking the spiders, they might make add-to-cart requests of the server and then try to index the resulting page.

#3 Schevikhoven

Schevikhoven

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Might i add to this discussion the case of using "nofollow" on the links pointing to the cart. Of course, the best practice would be to put nofollow, noindex on the meta tags and maybe exclude the page(s) in robots.txt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!