• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Breathing New Life Into Inktomi Listings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 morch

morch

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:51 AM

Hi all

First post here, looks a real friendly place - could do with some more Brits though :D

I have a query about Inkomi optimisation.

We all know how prominent this engine is likely to become thanks to Yahoo. Ink is said to be a good engine to optmise for because it likes all the simple things in seo-life such as keyword density, title/meta/H tags and good copy etc.

My understanding is that there is in real terms little difference in optimising for google or Ink. I have used all the good tips and tricks with 5 of my pages which Ive recently submitted for PFI. However despite getting a reasonable showing with some keywords (top 20) I cannot make any impact on the top 10 positions with my most valuable keywords. I work in a competitive sector (who doesnt!) and it may well be that the top 10 sites are just better at optimising than we are.

So what I really need is a refresher on optimising for Ink - I need to make sure Ive got the basics in place and then have another go at tweaking my site to improve my position.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks
M

#2 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:14 AM

The best way to learn how to optimize for Ink is to use paid inclusion for a page. When Ink is refreshing your page every day or so, it is easy to see the effects of any changes you make. You can learn what works this way.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,580 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:34 AM

I'd recommend doing a search on the "three page technique" that's being promoted by Ammon Johns (who happens to be a fellow Brit :D ). He's a moderator on the cre8asite forum, under the nick "Black Knight".

Ammon's been in this business since before this was a business, and he believes that optimizing for INK involves the use of more text, so he recommends that, on an e-commerce site, one should optimize a page for Google, using 200-300 words, then link that to a "more information" page that would contain something like 500-600 words. I haven't tried the method myself, so I'd be interested in seeing if anyone here has any thoughts about it.

#4 glengara

glengara

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:35 AM

From one of the mods here, and a fellow Brit:
http://www.searcheng...for_inktomi.htm

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:47 AM

I would also read MakeMeTop's (Barry Lloyd) interview on optimizing for Google, and or seeing if he'll chime in here (he's a mod.)

http://www.highranki...ssue001.htm#seo

It was from my very first Advisor newsletter! An oldie but still a goodie.

Oh, and welcome, morch! :D

Jill

#6 MakeMeTop

MakeMeTop

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:26 AM

Glengara posted a link to a pretty fool-proof way of getting decent rankings in INK (IMHO) - but remember off page criteria do kick in for well established sites - and this can prevent you breaking into the top 10 sites if they have a lot of good incoming links. As INK is crawling very aggressively right now, they are picking up a lot of new links and are not cracking down as hard as they might on cross-linking. This can cause pages which should rank well being pushed down the rankings.

I've gone from being pretty much #1 on INK for years to #23 for a major phrase in the last few weeks - all due to other sites doing cross-linking :rolleyes:

But I've seen this sort of thing happen before - and they eventually tidied it up!

#7 morch

morch

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the input - some good links / tips

Ive looked at the 3 page technique and the theory is obviously sound and definately worth a shot.

I think the linking issue is the real killer - most of my competitors have 1000+ links and they seem to all point to programmer type sites which are definately off topic but still unfairly help ranking.

Frustrating when you are trying to do the job right and link to relevant sites in order to help the user rather than the engine.

Thanks again

M

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!