• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why So Many Fake Page Ranks?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 world33

world33

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

There is something fishy going on in the Arab Webmaster World.
I checked several Newspapers in Arabic language and most of them have fake Page Ranks.
I regularly check page ranks for ranking educational and newspaper websites worldwide.

Is there any way to report these black hat Seo practices to Google representatives?
Why these "cheating" practices are so diffused in the Arab world?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,790 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

And what wonderful "tool" determined this "fake page rank".

Not that we need to know, of course just to tell you not to bother with such a useless, meaningless waste of Internet space crap ever again.

#3 world33

world33

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

The tool is called <removed>. The deleted list of those 78 Arabic newspapers domains redirect to other urls in order to fake/inflate their Page Rank.
Now this a sample of 4 results I get with that tool; I replaced the initial part of Urls so that, hopefully, it is not against this [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url] (please advise whether there is any other way to do so): <mod edit: We frankly don't need to see them. See below for why.>

The question is: is that tool correct in reporting fake page ranks and cloaked/redirected urls?
Thanks for any non confrontational reply and help on this matter.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

You're missing the point I think world33.

They type of PageRank we can see, which we lovingly refer to as Toolbar PageRank, is not the same PageRank as what is used by Google in their ranking algorithms. The fact is no one outside of Google's walls can see or know what the Real PageRank is for any page on the net. They guard their secret sauce that closely. But then put out some silly little, totally meaningless thing and named it the same.

Hence no tool that purports to tell you anything about Real PageRank can possibly be accurate in what it tells you. It can only see and manipulate data it pulls from the truly fake PageRank, the Toolbar PageRank. For you or the tool knows Google may have already discovered the massive number of redirects and either removed them from the ranking equation or even started penalizing the sites involved if they can track the redirects back to something those sites have done in an attempt to fool Google.

Bottom line, don't worry about PageRank nearly so much. Because the kind you can see has no bearing on the Real type of PageRank.

#5 world33

world33

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 28 2010, 01:32 PM) View Post
You're missing the point I think world33.

They type of PageRank we can see, which we lovingly refer to as Toolbar PageRank, is not the same PageRank as what is used by Google in their ranking algorithms. The fact is no one outside of Google's walls can see or know what the Real PageRank is for any page on the net. They guard their secret sauce that closely. But then put out some silly little, totally meaningless thing and named it the same.

Hence no tool that purports to tell you anything about Real PageRank can possibly be accurate in what it tells you. It can only see and manipulate data it pulls from the truly fake PageRank, the Toolbar PageRank. For you or the tool knows Google may have already discovered the massive number of redirects and either removed them from the ranking equation or even started penalizing the sites involved if they can track the redirects back to something those sites have done in an attempt to fool Google.

Bottom line, don't worry about PageRank nearly so much. Because the kind you can see has no bearing on the Real type of PageRank.

Thanks Randy, I appreciate your explanatory and polite reply. English is a second language for me and may be I did not explain my self properly.

1) The tool I mentioned is not pretending to report the real Page Rank. It is just showing that those websites are most likely using clocking/redirect techniques to inflate their visible and public (no matter if real or not real) Page Rank. Please google "Fake Page Rank" for details on this technique.
If you take this arabic newspaper, for example, w w w . elwahda . c o m that tool reports that that homepage url is redirecting to w w w . seomoz . o r g/linkscape/intel/basic?uri=www.elwahda.com%2

Now my questions are:
a) is this tool reporting an accurate fact (i.e. are they trying to fake their public PR through redirecting/cloacking)?
b) if yes, have these arabic newspapers being discovered and penalised by Google?
c) if yes, why this old technique it is still so spread among arabic newspaper websites? (I have a database of 7,000 newspapers around the world and checked 1/3 of the urls for similar redirect techniques and 99% of the times they are applied by Arabic websites)

2) I noticed that my second post has been edited once again. I am wondering what it is allowed to post in this forum if even the name of a tool cannot be mentioned nor a list of deliberately modified and unparsable urls to arabic newspapers cannot be posted to make a point. I hope it does not sound too critic on my part but sometime I feel I waste my time in posting in this forum and, considering it is not the first time my posts are deleted or somehow edited in the past, I feel it is time to go elsewhere where it is possible to start a discussion or make a point withouth incurring in finger-pointing or rigid application of rules that defeat the purpose of posting. How would you expect me to present this case if I cannot even post the list of potentially fake PR urls and the name of the tool that reports them? Is it possible to distinguish between self-interest/affiliation/spamming reasons to a genuine need of posting unparsable urls for making a point?

Cheers

Edited by world33, 28 January 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

, I feel it is time to go elsewhere where it is possible to start a discussion or make a point withouth incurring in finger-pointing or rigid application of rules that defeat the purpose of posting. How would you expect me to present this case if I cannot even post the list of potentially fake PR urls and the name of the tool that reports them?

We don't allow the posting of possible spam sites here at this forum. We're not a place to report sites.

So yes, if that's your goal, please feel free to go elsewhere.

And for the record, if you do an http header check on the site you mentioned above, there's no redirect on it, it's a 200 OK.

I would suggest not using whatever tool it is that you're finding is reporting strange things.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,790 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

that tool reports that that homepage url is redirecting to [somewhere]
that "tool" is obviously wrong.

I get no redirect to anywhere from the URI of the newspaper.
I can't read it, but i don't go anywhere else.

#8 world33

world33

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

That tool must not be reliable then. End of story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!