• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Research For A Popular Subject

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

I usually don't need help doing keyword research because I'm always doing niche sites, and have my pick of what keywords to target. However, because of a person hobby, interest and unique strategy, I am starting a blog on a very popular topic. It's fitness. I'm fairly big and lean, so it's going to be about what I did to get there. So it'll be about building muscle, as well as fat loss.

But pretty much any keyword involving fat loss, fitness, weight lifting, etc., is well over saturated.
How should I handle this? Should I just write for content and to my readers, and let 'nature' take it's course? Or should I some how focus on specific keywords?

My plan is to build my reader base from forums, and word of mouth, and hopefully get links through there, and then eventually get some traffic from the search engines.

Thoughts?
Thankyou.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:53 AM

Should I just write for content and to my readers, and let 'nature' take it's course?

An unequivocal Yes.

#3 caneman

caneman

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

I can see both approaches working here for you. If you are going to be adding numerous pages to build an authority profile for your site why not pick some keywords out on the longtail you think you can possibly rank for? You have nothing to lose doing this since you are going to write the content anyway and build the site. Do this for a handful of keywords then let nature take its course as you say.

#4 kieronhughes

kieronhughes

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jan 24 2010, 09:53 AM) View Post
An unequivocal Yes.

Agreed - but you could also look at starting off targetting long-tail phrases that include your core terms.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

Sounds like a perfect time to dive into some of the alternative marketing methods available out there.

The first that comes to mind is to syndicate some of your content to the various ezines and newsletters out there that revolve around the Fitness topic. That'll get your stuff out there directly in front of the people who most need/want it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!