• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing A High Google Rank Type Pad Site With Wordpress

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wirebound21

wirebound21

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi, I'd posted a topic yesterday about having two domains with duplicate content, although one tended to rank higher than the other. I've taken advice from replies and decided to use it to make a similar blog-like site about a similar sector that we think is going to be big in a few month's time.

Although, I wasn't the one who setup Typepad on the site, and am aware that it's a pretty awful platform and would like to move to using Wordpress for the site. The question I had was, if the current content on the site dissapeared overnight and was replaced with a swanky new wordpress site with new content, how badly would the drop in SEO rankings be?

Our current site is loved by google and seems to rank quite high for all relevant keywords we have posts about, also ranking in google news sometimes. We'd like to keep this ranking but move to Wordpress to have more design and theming control and also utilize plugins that it has to offer.

Your advice is highly regarded and is welcome!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

Is it the same domain name?

As long as you keep same domain and same file names, you won't have any problems.

If that's not possible, then as long as you redirect via 301 redirect the old URLs to the new, you should probably not have problems.

#3 wirebound21

wirebound21

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 21 2010, 05:29 PM) View Post
Is it the same domain name?

As long as you keep same domain and same file names, you won't have any problems.

If that's not possible, then as long as you redirect via 301 redirect the old URLs to the new, you should probably not have problems.

Hi Jill,

Yes it's the same domain name, the typepad site will be migrated over to Wordpress and all urls will be the same as well (ideally), but the new content that will go on there will be different (and not a copy of news from another domain, like we discussed in the post yesterday).

So to keep all the SEO juice, we're not moving/deleting any of the posts that could potentially get us traffic. Instead, from now on, different content will be added to the blog. Any other suggestions to make sure the page retains all it's google juice is welcome!

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

As long as the URI's aren't changing you're not going to lose any so called Google Juice.

But with the content changing it's obvious that the pages may well rank better or worse for the phrases they currently come up under. You may lose some of those and gain on others. Content is one of the things that drive rankings after all.

I'm still confused about the whole thing though. It sounds like you're still trying to get two bites at the apple. As was mentioned in the previous thread. That's just not going to happen, even if you change the content on the 2nd domain. If Google has already made the connection between the two domains, which sounds to be the case, you're never going to get both domains to rank on the same SERP page for the same phrase. It'll always be one or the other.

This may sound odd, but it's 100% the case when they get it right. I could tell you a story about how at one time I had multiple sites (it grew to 5 sites eventually) that targeted many of the same keyword phrases, albeit with completely different content. I didn't do this to fool Google or any other search engine. I did it because it was the same basic product/service, but each site was targeting different types of users.

I didn't hide the fact that all of the sites were connected. Didn't want to, didn't need to.

In Google there was never a case in the last 5+ years where two of these sites would show up in the same SERP page for a single search query. Some showed up under more specific search queries, but if it was one of the main more general searches the most authoritative site would be the one that would show up. Usually with a secondary site showing up a few pages later in the SERPs. (FTR, Yahoo, MSN/Bing and Ask were different stories. On each of these it was often the case that more than one of the sites would show up. They just weren't/aren't as good at connecting the dots.)

Eventually I got smart and also tired of spending 5 times as long maintaining all of these sites, having to run link building campaigns for multiple sites, etc. So I spent the better part of a year merging all of the sites into a single location, 301'ing the extra domains over to the main one when the merging project was complete. The moment I did the single location started ranking well and pulling traffic for all of the phrases all of the sites previously ranked well for. So no loss in rankings or traffic and a much better user experience for all involved.

So long story short you've already been putting in a lot of work that is completely unnecessary. You're now talking about putting in even more work that is completely unnecessary. No matter what you do you're only going to get one bite at the apple in Google's SERPs as a general rule.

IMHO you'd be better off simply redirecting the 2nd domain over to the first, placing all of your content there and making it the best possible resource it can be.

Or you can ignore all of the advice and continue to waste time chasing your own tail. angel_not.gif

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

So to keep all the SEO juice, we're not moving/deleting any of the posts that could potentially get us traffic. Instead, from now on, different content will be added to the blog. Any other suggestions to make sure the page retains all it's google juice is welcome!

The other thing would be to ensure that the site architecture is the same. That is, how you're linking to every page from the navigation. If you change that, you could potentially hurt your previous search engine traffic levels.

#6 wirebound21

wirebound21

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 21 2010, 07:00 PM) View Post
Eventually I got smart and also tired of spending 5 times as long maintaining all of these sites, having to run link building campaigns for multiple sites, etc. So I spent the better part of a year merging all of the sites into a single location, 301'ing the extra domains over to the main one when the merging project was complete. The moment I did the single location started ranking well and pulling traffic for all of the phrases all of the sites previously ranked well for. So no loss in rankings or traffic and a much better user experience for all involved.

So long story short you've already been putting in a lot of work that is completely unnecessary. You're now talking about putting in even more work that is completely unnecessary. No matter what you do you're only going to get one bite at the apple in Google's SERPs as a general rule.

IMHO you'd be better off simply redirecting the 2nd domain over to the first, placing all of your content there and making it the best possible resource it can be.

Or you can ignore all of the advice and continue to waste time chasing your own tail. angel_not.gif

Thanks for the reply, quite helpful.

Well, as I said I have started working on these sites recently so I'm working more towards sorting the mess out. I sat down with the site owners to talk about the issue of the duplicate content, and turns out that they'd bought the site very cheap from someone else, and just didn't know what to do with it so they just started adding the same content as the main site they had hoping to get traffic.

What I suggested was, given the fact that this site ranks quite high for terms related to, say the computer industry, and given that the mobile industry market is taking off (used as a metaphor, not actual site's description), and given that the company is doing a lot of work that's in the mobile domain, we could make the blog related to mobile phones instead of computers, and try and get a reputation from google about being good at content about mobile, so when eventually build a decent website ranking high for mobile, we can then cross sell our other products.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough, but I don't think can be described as fighting for the same SERPS at all.

The other thing would be to ensure that the site architecture is the same. That is, how you're linking to every page from the navigation. If you change that, you could potentially hurt your previous search engine traffic levels.

Thanks for the top. It's noted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!