• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Indexing Multiple Languages On Same Domain

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Anderson

Anderson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hello all...I'm new to the community and am glad to join.

We are preparing for some very much needed changes on our domains, but haven't quite decided on some details such as how and when to make the post-login content available to crawling.

What I'd appreciate to get some insight from the community, is what to do with multiple languages on a same domain. Google, for instance indexed all multiple extensions and languages of our same front page (e.g. mysite.com/?lang=es, mysite.com/?lang=en, mysite.com/?lang=nl, ....). For some of these languages/countries, we have the regional domain as well (e.g. mysite.com.ar) which again has all languages available.

On top of that, you'll find that same front page with different subdomains, for our affiliate and distribution partners. In one case (on another site of ours), our affiliate partner has even a higher google ranking than our own main domain.

My main question is, what's the best way to handle multiple languages for the same website and brand?
I completely understand that this has mainly to do with our strategy on building high ranks for our portal in different territories, and treat each language ideally as a separate SEO project. But can this be done within one same domain?

Some thoughts I've had were:
- we should maybe put a "nofollow" tag on the languages that we have regional domains (e.g. use the .com.ar domain to push Spanish keywords and Spanish language traffic, and on the .com.ar put a nofollow on all languages except spanish)
- create separate landing pages for different languages on different domains to push on these community content (blogs, forums) that would produce high SE traffic for that language, and point users from there to our main game domain
- put a nofollow tag on our affiliate sites, or a redirect tag for spiders?

What I'm not quite certain of yet is how our current setup (besides the obvious of poor page titles, tags, limited access to search engines...) could be hurting us (if at all), and what the best way is to improve our rankings for our niche's keywords by language/territory :-)

Thanks for any insight and experience you could share.

Edited by Anderson, 20 January 2010 - 08:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!