• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Disabling Right-click - Effect On Seo?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JPotts

JPotts

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

One of my company's sites has right-click functions disabled (yes, I realize this doesn't really stop people from stealing content - it wasn't my choice). I've noticed when I use a spider emulator (seo-browser.com) that our image alt tags appear to be invisible to the spiders. I can see the alt tags on the actual site, and I've verified that they are in the code, but they don't seem to show up for spiders. Could this be caused by our right-click disabling?

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

depends on the page code, I can't see how though as right click disabled tends to be a simple javascript normally.

Also alt image attribute text is ignored unless they are clickable, are they clickable? I really wouldn't worry about it though as it is such a tiny tiny effect that there are better rabbits to chase.

#3 JPotts

JPotts

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Jan 19 2010, 12:10 PM) View Post
Also alt image attribute text is ignored unless they are clickable, are they clickable? I really wouldn't worry about it though as it is such a tiny tiny effect that there are better rabbits to chase.

So, the alt text only helps my SEO efforts when the picture is used as a link? A couple of the images in question are clickable, but I have a different problem with them altogether - they're not showing up at all in the Spider Emulator.

Thanks for the clarification!

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

As OWG pointed out most right click disabling is done with Javascript.

In this case I would be more suspicious of the emulator tool you're using having an problem with the no right click routine. The easiest way to tell what's really what is to head over Google.com, do a site: type of search for the domain in question, then view the Cached versions of a couple of pages. If you see the Alt Att's in the source code there you can be reasonably certain Google is seeing them. Otherwise they wouldn't be there in the cache. wink1.gif

#5 JPotts

JPotts

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 19 2010, 03:03 PM) View Post
As OWG pointed out most right click disabling is done with Javascript.

In this case I would be more suspicious of the emulator tool you're using having an problem with the no right click routine. The easiest way to tell what's really what is to head over Google.com, do a site: type of search for the domain in question, then view the Cached versions of a couple of pages. If you see the Alt Att's in the source code there you can be reasonably certain Google is seeing them. Otherwise they wouldn't be there in the cache. wink1.gif

Thank you Randy! I tried this, and found that the alt tags are present in Google's cached version of our site. Looks like the problem is with the emulator, as you suspected. Thank you both for your guidance!

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:49 AM

alt attributes

#7 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

alt attributes

lol.gif I suppose someone had to in the end.

#8 JPotts

JPotts

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jan 21 2010, 06:49 AM) View Post
alt attributes

Right, that too sarcastic_blum.gif

#9 rustybrick

rustybrick

Seeking A+ Posts

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

JohnMu from Google wrote about this in 2009, see this thread http://www.google.co...m...50091&hl=en

he said

Personally, I find the use of right-click-blocking JavaScript slightly annoying because there are many legitimate reasons why you might want to use the context menu (eg to bookmark the page) and it doesn't really stop people from viewing the source (Ctrl-U brings it up if you don't want to use the main menu). That said, this is not something that would bother Googlebot :-).

#10 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

"Finally, one element which is really important to us is that sites bring unique and compelling value to our users"

Straight out of the horses mouth!!

Nothing to do with alt attributes in the context of this thread...but every single person on this forum who has any questions why their site doesn't rank should read that!

unsure.gif

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

What JohnMu said.

#12 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 21 2010, 05:23 PM) View Post
What JohnMu said.

Thankyou Jill for rectifying my abysmal clarification talents!!

lol.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.