• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

404s And Redirects

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 greggb

greggb

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Randy. I know it can be done with robots.txt, as I mentioned in my previous reply. I guess my main points were:
1. That IMO (and this is just my opinion, though I'll argue it as though it's fact), the better method is to keep the myriad of links that are only really helpful to humans completely out of reach of bots, via form posts and javascript. Otherwise, robots.txt is kind of a fix for a problem, that being you've created a ton of potentially indexable links that you don't want to have indexed. Another reason being that some idiot's homemade bot can rack up a lot of bandwidth and place quite a load on your server, and robots.txt won't stop it. The second reason might be a bit of a stretch, but I've seen it happen.

2. More importantly, I feel that the signficance of this is seriously overlooked by a lot of SEO professionals, and in SEO forums. I'm going to start another post with a story related to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.