• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Do Canonical Urls Affect Page Rank?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 walrusy

walrusy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

I have a question hopefully you can help me out with.

I am doing the SEO for a new site that is in development. Some of the pages are individuals profiles pages with unique URLs. The majority of the content on these pages will remain the same but for a small number of these pages some of the content will change over time - and this will have an affect on the url - so the content of the URL will also have to change.

My question is....if we use canonical urls will the page rank be affected?

#2 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(walrusy @ Jan 18 2010, 11:48 AM) View Post
for a small number of these pages some of the content will change over time - and this will have an affect on the url - so the content of the URL will also have to change.

My question is....if we use canonical urls will the page rank be affected?

Yes and no...depends largely on how much of a degree the content is going to change on these pages. If only some of the content is going to change but remains relative, then why re-canonicalise the url??

If these pages are going to be completely different, why not introduce a new domain to cater for the content of these pages??

unsure.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

Kaz is right in that you shouldn't have to change URLs just because the content is changing.

That said, I'm guessing you're working with some funky CMS that is causing that to happen.

In which case, yes, if you can use the canonical link element, that could help. Or it might be easier to 301-redirect the old URLs to the new ones whenever they change.

#4 walrusy

walrusy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

Hi guys - thanks for the responses. Sorry Ill just explain a little more about our site so my problem is a little clearer.

Basically when an individual creates a profile on our site - one of the key pieces of information for each individual that we will be optimizing in the search engines is their location. Their location will also be included as a keyword in their URL. For the vast majority of individuals the location will not change but there will be some instances where it will change. This needs to be reflected in the URL also i.e. the location keyword needs to change also. But the rest of the content on the page will remain the same. We just dont want to lose the page rank of the page by having to introduce a brand new URL. So you can see the dilemna. So we want top use canonical URLs

Thanks

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:06 AM

So what your saying is that you want to maintain 'page rank' for specific content without forfeiting the rest of the page?

Yeah ok, you can 301-redirect, but you would still have to have a new page/domain in exsistance for that to work.

You cannot have specific content within the same page indexed seperately, (unless through an image but you would still have to have a seperate page).

Why can't you incorporate a search engine function in your site so that visitors can search by location?

unsure.gif

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

My post from above stands, based on what you wrote in your last post walrusy.

#7 walrusy

walrusy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

Ok guys - thanks for your responses. I looks like 301 redirect could be the best option.

#8 walrusy

walrusy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Ok how about this instead of using a 301 redirect - use a unique identifier at the end of the url eg:

www.website.com/location1/firstname.lastname/xxxxxxx

lets say they change their location :

www.website.com/location2/firstname.lastname/xxxxxxx

The information in the middle of url would change based on changes on the page content - but the unique identifier would remain the same.

Will this work do you think?

Thanks

#9 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(walrusy @ Jan 19 2010, 04:44 PM) View Post

Thanks

Looks good to my mind, as far as G is concerned it's the same page as long as the UI remains constant (with the page in question).

unsure.gif

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

The information in the middle of url would change based on changes on the page content - but the unique identifier would remain the same.

Would it work for what?

If I understand you correctly, it would work to serve up duplicate content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.