• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Buying New Domains

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi: I continually get asked by clients to buy new domains to redirect to their existing website to improve rankings.

Here's an example of a recent question. Is there anything I'm missing - or incorrectly stating with the response below - let me know.

Question: I'd like to buy and redirect: www.injurylawyermontanausa.com so we can rank better for "injury lawyer montana usa"

Answer:

1) New Domains: This would be a brand new domain that would take time to mature in Google's ranking. (we're talking 6-9 months)

2) Since you would have no physical pages at this new domain (the domain would be re-directed to another domain) -- there are NO physical pages at: www.injurylawyermontanausa.com for Google to index.

3) I do not believe Google will interpret: www.injurylawyermontanausa.com to mean: Injury Lawyers Montana USA -- because all the words are run together. You'd have to have something like: www.injury-lawyers-montana-usa.com to make a difference.

4) If you want to rank for those words you can use them within the page name URL like this: www.yourcompany.com/injury-lawyer-montana-USA.html

Since there are over 200 factors that Google considers when determining page ranking, I recommend that instead of buying and redirecting new domains that you spend the time developing high-value inbound links.

Am I missing anything?

Rosemary

#2 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(ttw @ Jan 14 2010, 05:34 PM) View Post
3) I do not believe Google will interpret: www.injurylawyermontanausa.com to mean: Injury Lawyers Montana USA -- because all the words are run together. You'd have to have something like: www.injury-lawyers-montana-usa.com to make a difference.

4) If you want to rank for those words you can use them within the page name URL like this: www.yourcompany.com/injury-lawyer-montana-USA.html

Since there are over 200 factors that Google considers when determining page ranking, I recommend that instead of buying and redirecting new domains that you spend the time developing high-value inbound links.

Not sure if point 3 is actually the case, for sure.

Point 4 is a good bet..I do this especially if I want the Geo-targeted angle.

Why not just tweak the on-site seo pointed more at location?

unsure.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

The basic, simple answer is that if you redirect it, there is no site, therefore it can't rank for anything. End of story.

You could use it for type in traffic, however, if they thought someone would type that whole URL into their browser.

#4 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Jill your reigning queen...but, why couldn't they just create a page within the site or (edit an existing one)with a file name www.yourcompany.com/injury-lawyer-montana-USA.html then nobody would have to type that url in?

Tweak the SEO Geo wise, wait for the site to be re-crawled and see how it does??

I have boosted loads just off that.

unsure.gif

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Jill your reigning queen...but, why couldn't they just create a page within the site or (edit an existing one)with a file name www.yourcompany.com/injury-lawyer-montana-USA.html then nobody would have to type that url in?

I didn't say they couldn't.

I was just explaining why having a domain name that redirects (to wherever) is of zero help when it comes to SEO.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Back when I did this stuff for hire I came up with a stock answer for and other silly questions. I'll even quote it verbatim and allow anyone who wants to to borrow it.

Dear Client,

What you propose is a complete waste of time and money.

If you would like me to help you waste your money there's a better way. I'd be more than happy to send you an invoice for work that will provide absolutely, positively zero help to your site's rankings or conversions. In fact, I'll make sure to note on the invoice that the work won't actually help, so that you cannot later sue me in an attempt to say it didn't help.

If you would like to continue with this type of program please let me know so I can get an invoice out to you right away!

Have a nice day!

Randy

Yes, some got miffed and totally missed the sarcastic humor, but they all stop asking me to do those silly little chores for them.

#7 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 14 2010, 10:40 PM) View Post
Back when I did this stuff for hire I came up with a stock answer for and other silly questions. I'll even quote it verbatim and allow anyone who wants to to borrow it.

Yes, some got miffed and totally missed the sarcastic humor, but they all stop asking me to do those silly little chores for them.

Ha! That's great!
lol.gif

unsure.gif

P.S ahhh yeah, gotcha Jill, I didn't bother saying that one! lol.gif

#8 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

[i]Dear Client,

What you propose is a complete waste of time and money.
In fact, I'll make sure to note on the invoice that the work won't actually help, so that you cannot later sue me in an attempt to say it didn't help.

Randy: You're wonderful -- and here I was trying to TRY to educate the client..... girl_cray2.gif

Jill, I guess I should have kept my reply as simple as you did.

Thanks everyone.

Rosemary

#9 ArtD

ArtD

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

I read the posts, so here goes:

If my main goal is to get a business on Google Local Maps, it appears that the keywords in the title listing and domain help a lot. I've seen it in search results.

My gut feeling is that GLM is slightly different than the organic results in how Google critiques it. I have keyword rich domain names that I am forwarding to the dull/old domain. I was thinking of using them in the set-up of the GLM listing so the keywords show top and bottom.

I've read that using keyword rich domains (forwarded or 301) for general SEO may be a problem. I have backlinks going to the keyword rich domain. Do any go through to the dull/old domain and to the site? I can redo them to the dull/old one, but if my goal was to get the site listed in Google Maps should I leave it alone? Any advantage to doing it to both domain names - one for general SEO and the other for GM?

Such a basic question. There must be some way to use the great keyword rich domains that I just purchased.
They are for restaurants, salons and plastic surgeons. They do have dashes. I've read that dashes are good, neutral or bad. They are easier to read (maybe even for the spiders) and remember, and I'd love to use them.
Unless a site is new, no one wants to switch to the kwr domain and redirect their original.

Help! I've spent most of the day researching this.

#10 kieronhughes

kieronhughes

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:43 AM

If you are registering a new domain that has no previous history, blacklinks, etc, then there is basically no benefit in doing so.

On the other hand though, if you find a domain that has been used previously and may have backlinks (and maybe even PageRank) then it could be a great way to drive more traffic and increase rankings of the site you are redirecting to. Unfortunately these domains are very hard to come across - so it's not something you should spend your time focusing on.

EDIT - Also, if you are going to redirect a domain to your core website make sure it's relevant.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

My gut feeling is that GLM is slightly different than the organic results in how Google critiques it. I have keyword rich domain names that I am forwarding to the dull/old domain. I was thinking of using them in the set-up of the GLM listing so the keywords show top and bottom.

You can't. You need to have a physical address for Google local.

Your keyword rich domains won't help you there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.