• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Frustrated With Adwords

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rjcarr

rjcarr

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hey guys I setup a Google AdWords account and picked about 70 keywords that I currently do not do well with organic search. Most of these terms have only a few ads showing, so I figured I could keep the cost down on the ads. So I bid 5 cents for these ads. I load up AdWords today and see that none of my ads are running. The reason? My bids are below the first page bids. Google wants me to spend $2 for most ads even though I only see a couple ads for these terms.

I thought this was an auction? Yet it appears that Google sets the minimum bid regardless of what everyone else is bidding. If so, COMPLETE bullshit.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

#2 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(rjcarr @ Jan 12 2010, 03:50 PM) View Post
Anyone care to enlighten me?

Research G's annual turnover (at least what they disclose anyway) and all will become abundantly clear!

unsure.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

While you may have to bid a high amount, that doesn't mean you will necessarily pay that high amount.

#4 rjcarr

rjcarr

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 12 2010, 10:21 AM) View Post
While you may have to bid a high amount, that doesn't mean you will necessarily pay that high amount.

Interesting. I will have to look into that. But I was able to find some keywords I could bid on that were in the 20 cent range, and they are showing up. Actually now I see some keywords showing up even though the control panel shows them not due to low bid.

Thanks for the help gang.

#5 rjcarr

rjcarr

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

After reviewing some of the results on Google I have to say I have a bad taste in my mouth for Google. What a load of crap. I have so many terms that barely show any competition, yet I am supposed to bid $1 or more to have my ads even show?

Total load of crap.

Google is as bad as M$. Maybe worse.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

Then don't use them.

While sorry for your frustration, we're not a complaint department.

#7 rjcarr

rjcarr

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 12 2010, 03:33 PM) View Post
Then don't use them.

While sorry for your frustration, we're not a complaint department.

Honestly Jill, I don't think this is a complaint. If I were signing up for AdWords I would definitely want to know how it works. And when Google claims they have a minimum bid of say 1 cent, 5 cent, whatever, they are being deceptive. Here's why. Let's say there are 3 ads running for "underwater basket weaving". That's it. So I decide I will bid the minimum of 5 cents and take position 4. But Google won't allow that. They make me bid 50 cents or even 75 cents to have my ad shown. That is deception.

Actually I have found a few keywords I can get displayed for 25 cents, but the minimum bid is totally deceiving. And since I signed up under the impression I could use the minimum bid, and there is no refund, it is bad business practices and I think anyone considering AdWords should know.

I think it is completely valid Jill. Now, if I am wrong, please correct me. I actually hope you do.

Rob

#8 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(rjcarr @ Jan 12 2010, 03:25 PM) View Post
...when Google claims they have a minimum bid of say 1 cent, 5 cent, whatever, they are being deceptive. Here's why. Let's say there are 3 ads running for "underwater basket weaving". That's it. So I decide I will bid the minimum of 5 cents and take position 4. But Google won't allow that. They make me bid 50 cents or even 75 cents to have my ad shown. That is deception.

I think this is the logical outcome of so many AdWords advertisers using Google Analytics. This is what Jill said would happen years ago but no one listened.

@Jill: I think you reversed your decision at some point over the years, right? What do you think about GA now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!