• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Editing An Existing Page

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Greetings Folks,

I have a few pages with images to "enlarge" so the viewer gets a more detailed view. The pages rank well in SEs so I don't want to step on the SERPs.

Two methods I am considering to enlarge the images:

Method 1. Put a div on the page with display:none and use a javascript link to call a function that sets display:inline.
Method 2. Use a javascript link to call a function that opens a new window.

Method 1 adds a javascript link, javascript code and new div "content" to the page.
Method 2 adds a javascript link and javascript code.

From an SEO standpoint, which method would you prefer?

Many Thanks!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Assuming the new div would contain nothing but the larger image, I don't think either option is going to make any difference from an SEO perspective. I think you should just choose the option that works best for your users. It's really a design/usability issue more than anything else.

#3 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Qwerty,
Going the div route, I added the image to the div and set the image alt="". That should minimize the impact.

#4 BryanWoodUrns

BryanWoodUrns

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(maleman @ Jan 10 2010, 12:17 PM) View Post
Thanks Qwerty,
Going the div route, I added the image to the div and set the image alt="". That should minimize the impact.

Alt text is important.. From what i've read it's nearly as important as anchor text for links.. Don't leave it "" -- unless you were just saying "" for this example... in which case.. ignore everything I just said.... wink1.gif

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Alt text is important for users who might not be able to see the image.

Search engines are only interested in the alt text of images that are links, otherwise they don't really seem to pay attention to it.

#6 kieronhughes

kieronhughes

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

The display:none CSS rule is something that always gets the alarm bells going in my head (and probably the search engines). With so many "black hat" techniques around such as hidden content, the display:none command could imply that you are hiding textual content from visitors/online displaying to the search engines. So basically, avoid using this.

Why not use Lightbox? It's quick and easy to install, plus you get the added benefit of having alt text, title tags and also extended descriptions for people who enlarge the images. For people with javascript disabled, the images will just open in a new window instead. It's as perfect as you'll find.

http://www.huddletog...jects/lightbox/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.