• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Gzip 'deflate' , Ssi & Perl

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:11 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here knows why gzip is causing my site to bomb.

I run HTML pages through the SSI interpreter which have includes to execute perl scripts.

This works fine, until I place the gzip deflate command in my .htaccess file.

Is this likely to be a server configuration issue, where the gzip process is interfering with the SSI & perl and thus causing the following error
=========================================
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mydomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
==========================================

My webhost support for some bizzarre reason asked me for a url to the page that wasn't working, thinking I was prepared to down my site while they fumble about trying to work out what isn't working.

I hoped someone might have knowledge of compatability issues with SSI & PERL or if it's an issue with the way my webhost has implemented gzip.

My concern is this new announcement from G! that page loads will affect rankings, which is really going to pee me off if I cannot use any zipping technology with the web environment my site uses (SSI & PERL). It wouldn't be fair for G! to penalise my site for not compressing the output when it isn't technically possible.

But hey, since when have G! ever been fair!

Thanks,
1DMF

Edited by 1dmf, 08 January 2010 - 06:44 AM.

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:30 AM

I had this issue and it turned out to be the server settings my hosting company had in place. sorry I can't be of more help.

#3 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:45 AM

Did you manage to get gzip to work with SSI & PERL, so I simply need to get them to change the server configuration?

#4 Mhoram

Mhoram

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

I'd be very surprised if you can't use gzip and SSL and Perl on the same server. It could be that you're using an htaccess directive that their version of mod_gzip doesn't understand, or it could be they don't have mod_gzip installed at all. Do you have access to the server error log? That would tell you what the problem is.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

My hunch is you're on the right track with your questions 1dmf. It's probably a server configuration issue. Long story short is Google's little pronouncement that people should be serving up compressed content is causing a lot of hosts headaches because there are so many ways out there to construct and deliver content. giggle.gif

It can certainly be done. But there are quite likely some perl modules that are need to be there and already compiled into your Apache configuration. Or you might need to disable compression until the very end of the process to make sure Perl gets uncompressed content. And of course which ones depends upon which version of Apache your server is running and how compression is being done currently.

It might help to know what's in the error log. Usually tracking down these things down is a pain in the arse!

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

It's certainly a pain, i'll look at the cpanel to see if I can get access to any logs, if not i'll have to get the hosting company to look.

I have a feeling you're right Randy, about gzip probably compressing the content in the wrong order for PERL & SSI to work, let's hope the hosting company can make the required changes to get around this issue.

gzip is definately installed, which I got the hosting company to confirm along with which method I should use, and they suggested deflate as you had also indicated.

it does seem a bit ironic that now most eweb users have a broadband connection, now G! prefers you to have your content compressed, yet where was this technology when we all had a 9200 modem lol.gif

Don't you just love the irony!

#7 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 968 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

... gzip is definately installed, which I got the hosting company to confirm along with which method I should use, and they suggested deflate as you had also indicated.

That's a little unclear. My memory could be playing tricks on me, and I'm sure Randy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe mod_gzip is an Apache 1.0 module, while mod_deflate is an Apache 2.0 module. I don't think both should be installed?

It can be a little confusing, too, because "gzip" is the same term used for the module, a stand-alone command line utility, and a PHP feature -- all of which are nonetheless very different things. When talking about Apache I would highly recommend using the term mod_gzip to be perfectly clear what you want?

My guess is that you are on Apache 2.0, someone somewhere has conflated the various flavors of gzip, and mod_deflate has never been compiled into Apache. That, I think, is the "typical" (if that word can ever be used on web servers) configuration for a CPanel install.

It should be easy enough to test. Put up an HTML page that does not go through either SSL or the Perl interpreter. You can do that by creating a new directory with a different .htaccess file. If the conflict is between SSL/Perl (which I highly doubt), the HTML page will be compressed just fine. If you get a server error on the HTML page, it will tell you the conflict is somewhere else.

#8 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Looks like you're right Ron!

even basic HTML files are crashing out.... lets see what my hosting have to say!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.