• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

A Look At Seo In The Past Decade!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

In case any of you don't get the newsletter or read it online (shame on you!), I wanted to call your attention to this week's Century/Decade in review:

A Decade of 21st Century SEO

Enjoy! Feel free to comment here or within the article comments itself.

J

#2 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:16 AM

And you used to call yourself a lazy toad toad.gif

If that were really true, you certainly wouldn't have taken the time to contribute so much over the years!

You have simply learned to work smart and are hoping to convince others to do the same.

together.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

giggle.gif I'm still a lazy toad.gif (Not the day I wrote that though!)

#4 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

lol I like this Jill
If Google goes public in 2003 (and I'm not making any predictions on
that), we will see it start to suck by 2004. By "suck" I mean become
like all the other engines.
As they say never a truer word, spoken in jest!

Are you sure you're not clairvoyant?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

That was actually one that I got wrong, IMO.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

Really, aw you dissapoint me, never right for getting it wrong eh!

#7 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

"Never forget that, if done correctly, each and every page of your site is a gateway to the rest of the site."
This is perhaps your most accurate statement about SEO, but people will not believe it. Why oh why?

Let's say I have 100 functionally similar items (i.e. drills) is it better to have ONE page competing in the SEs for a handful of targeted keywords OR is it best to have each page with the different attributes of each drill (color, size, cordless, etc.) targeting keywords. Hmm. It's a lot less work to target one page, but the rewards of having 100 pages competing for the myriad of search phrases is priceless, profitable and a lot more work.

Great summary of the decade Jill.

#8 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Jill this was a great recap of the decade. Sometime I'd like to see you expand it to when you first began in SEO. This was informative for someone who hasn't been in the business nearly as long. As an avid reader of your newsletter you constantly provide new material to digest.

#9 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Copywriter39 @ Jan 12 2010, 02:45 PM) View Post
Jill this was a great recap of the decade. Sometime I'd like to see you expand it to when you first began in SEO. This was informative for someone who hasn't been in the business nearly as long. As an avid reader of your newsletter you constantly provide new material to digest.

This.

I'd love to see what kinds of bizarre stuff you (and others) did early on.

#10 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 966 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

I first met Jill back in '97 or '98, I think, at the old JimWorld forums where I moderated the Excite forum and, not coincidentally, a couple of the tech forums. Someone brought in an article Jill had written and half the regulars in the forum immediately went into attack mode. If I remember correctly, JB (old timers will know who I mean) was leading the lynch mob. It was hilarious. Jill soon arrived to defend her article. Admirably so, I might add.

Yea, there was some bizarre stuff back then. The search engine landscape was a lot different. But people? People were much the same, I think. The way I first met Jill is a scenario you still see in many communities every month, albeit with new and different faces. To me, that is the part that is the most bizarre. smile.gif

#11 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:34 AM

lol Ron, it might not be the middle ages, but we still seem to like a good witch hunt! , burn the witch, burn the witch!

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Ron Carnell @ Jan 12 2010, 10:42 PM) View Post
I first met Jill back in '97 or '98, I think, at the old JimWorld forums where I moderated the Excite forum and, not coincidentally, a couple of the tech forums. Someone brought in an article Jill had written and half the regulars in the forum immediately went into attack mode. If I remember correctly, JB (old timers will know who I mean) was leading the lynch mob. It was hilarious. Jill soon arrived to defend her article. Admirably so, I might add.

Heh...good times...good times for sure.

I think I remember that incident. I used to rile people up when I would say that you didn't have to pay for ongoing SEO services once you got your pages in order and doing well.

That was the dirty little secret of the SEO industry at the time (still is actually).

It's a little different now, in that value added content is worth so much due to there being so much more competition. But in the 90's and even early 2000's you could in fact, set it and forget it, despite what you SEO "expert" might be telling you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!