• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Sub Domain Vs New Domain

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

Which is a better domain choice for a mature web site that is introducing a services section and wants to create a degree of separation from their product section....

To introduce a sub domain, or to start a whole new domain. I'm assuming the subdomain, but would like to verify that.

So... services.CurrentURL.com or CurrentURLservices.com ?

#2 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have only ever used Subs by personal default

unsure.gif

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

To add a little reason to this issue...here's my dilemma:

The reason this client wants to separate the services from the product is because the two have no relationship to one another.

Imagine that it was a web design and development company that also sold smart phone apps, or accounting software or something (for example).

Their feeling is that web visitors attracted by the one topic will be confused when they start exploring the site and seeing the other topic.

At the moment, both the product AND the service are on the same site and they do experience quite a bit of visitor loss as soon as a visitor navigates to the home page and encounters the other topic.

Edited by Say Yebo, 07 January 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#4 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

If the the services and products are completely different, thus causing direct conflict, then the logical conclusion would be to introduce a new domain and re- optimise specifically for that product, keeping in mind your target audience so that you are not "confusing" anyone when they land on your site or page.

Its all about giving your customers what they WANT.

unsure.gif

#5 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(Kaz007 @ Jan 7 2010, 04:49 PM) View Post
unsure.gif

I'll definitely put that on the 'pros' side of my list of pros and cons for this domain dilemma! It's funny how easily one can get so wrapped up in an issue that one fails to look at the common sense part ;-)

Still...their current URL is ten years old with some respectable inbound links... thinking.gif

#6 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

If the the services and products are completely different, thus causing direct conflict, then the logical conclusion would be to introduce a new domain and re- optimise specifically for that product, keeping in mind your target audience so that you are not "confusing" anyone when they land on your site or page.

unsure.gif

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

To introduce a sub domain, or to start a whole new domain. I'm assuming the subdomain, but would like to verify that.

There's no right or wrong answer here. For search engines it doesn't matter, so I would suggest doing whichever makes the most sense for your business.

#8 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 7 2010, 06:08 PM) View Post
There's no right or wrong answer here. For search engines it doesn't matter, so I would suggest doing whichever makes the most sense for your business.

That's good to know Jill, thank you.

#9 ArtphotoasiA

ArtphotoasiA

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Agree with Jiil but I still wonder if a keyword inside as subdomain can help or not.

example www.mykeyword.mysite.com www.greendonkey.donkeyweb.com

will be good idea use the greedonkey sub if my site is target on greendonkey ?

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

There are a few discussions on  "keyword domains"[/hr]

#11 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

New Folder or Directory in my book unless there is a verrrry good commercial or branding reason not to.

#12 ArtphotoasiA

ArtphotoasiA

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Jan 11 2010, 08:37 PM) View Post
There are a few discussions on  "keyword domains"[/hr]

Thanks chrishirst I will read about ...

#13 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

There may be no right or wrong answer as Jill points out, but I look at it this way. If it is a completely different service then a new domain is natural. However if you have a parent service with multiple divisions that act differently but there is a bond amongst then it could either be a subdomain or subfolder. Subfolder is easy even with content management systems. If there is a direction change in the future it is easy to handle.

#14 cheethebee

cheethebee

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(bobmeetin @ Jan 13 2010, 10:07 AM) View Post
There may be no right or wrong answer as Jill points out, but I look at it this way. If it is a completely different service then a new domain is natural. However if you have a parent service with multiple divisions that act differently but there is a bond amongst then it could either be a subdomain or subfolder. Subfolder is easy even with content management systems. If there is a direction change in the future it is easy to handle.

Would a subdomain have the same ranking potential as a subfolder (ie rank the link authority of the main domain) if it was linked into the main site effectively?

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Would a subdomain have the same ranking potential as a subfolder (ie rank the link authority of the main domain) if it was linked into the main site effectively?

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.