• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Deliberately Fails To Deliver Targeted Content

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:42 AM

Hi guys,

Happy New Year to you all....

I was reading this article.. http://www.webpronew...s-and-designers

Where Google seem to be deliberatley not showing local results for keywords relating to web design and SEO.

If G's no.1 goal is to deliver targeted results to its users, why on earth is it doing this?

If I want to find a web designer in my local area, G is refusing to deliver this content?

Why is google deliberately forcing you to have to use a different search engine or method to find localised businesses.

why is G! deliberatley harming local businesses and entrepreneurs and why is web design such a bad word?

I can understand SEO perhaps, as it is directly related to search and so Google.

But web design? there goes my dreams of starting my own company!

#2 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Jan 6 2010, 09:42 AM) View Post
I can understand SEO perhaps, as it is directly related to search and so Google.

This (above quote) is probably the only logical reason.

G have most probably chopped and changed their algo so many censored.gif times that they are at the point where they are simply doing nothing more than running round in circles.

So, therefore in order to stop SEO's or webdesigners from 'manipulating' their algo they are resorting to personalising what they are showing or not showing in serps, completely disregarding the individual searchers requirements starting with localised SEO or webdesign firms it seems!

Could this be the first sign G are running out of options??

I don't know..just a thought.

unsure.gif

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,460 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:08 AM

This actually makes perfect sense to me. Why does any NEED to find a "local" webdesigner/SEO using a global search engine?

A large majority of designers who "advertise" for a particular town/area don't have a physical presence in that locality anyway, so it isn't as if you are going to find an office where you can "pop in to have a chat".

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

If I want to find a web designer in my local area, G is refusing to deliver this content?

They're showing them, they're just not showing them via the local maps thingee...

#5 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

A large majority of designers who "advertise" for a particular town/area don't have a physical presence in that locality anyway, so it isn't as if you are going to find an office where you can "pop in to have a chat".
well that's just false advertising then.

I thought the point of localised search is to find localised companies. Chris you may say no-one NEEDS local web design, how about if I WANT a local web design company, maybe I do want to meet someone face to face, assess their company premises, their attire, demeaner etc.. I prefer to help local business and like some where I can go if I need to meet or have a complaint, not some faceless organisation that can take your money and run.

I just see this as google failing in their premise to provide quality, targeted search results to their users, and will simply help to boost other local methods of finding trades persons such as Yellow Pages and Thompson Local.

Or is it simply a deliberated and targeted attack on those specific industries. Are they that bored in the Googleplex that they have nothing better to do than persisit in bully boy tactics against industries they have decided are not worthy of their engine?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Well I've been telling you all for years that Google hates SEOs. (And for the most part, they have good reason to.)

#7 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

if you search for 'seo location', you get no maps (local listings). if you search for 'seo in location' you get maps... it is more stupid than a chocolate teapot

#8 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:49 AM

Well I've been telling you all for years that Google hates SEOs. (And for the most part, they have good reason to.)
What even the good guys like you Jill?

Why?, you have always been an advocate of doing things properly, not trying to game the engine, thinking of your visitors, producing quality content, etc. etc..

Google should be biting your hand off and deliberately boosting your rankings/listings not reducing them

You actively promote (and AFAIK), partake in quality, ethical SEO practices.

We even have the GRE Tool, which is specifically geared to stop people running queries against G! to check their rankings.

HRF has bent over backwards to do the right thing by Google, don't you feel a bit pissed off by what they are doing?

#9 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Jan 7 2010, 10:49 AM) View Post
What even the good guys like you Jill?

HRF has bent over backwards to do the right thing by Google, don't you feel a bit pissed off by what they are doing?

Yes but in the interests of equality...what they do for one they must do for all (all things being equal that is).

On the platform of global search engines with googzillions of users, they cannot be seen to advocate favoritism can they?

Its called "sods law" with naff all we can do about, except succumb to G's every demand 1dmf.

unsure.gif

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

No, I like it.

Having those map results show up before client optimized sites suck. I wish they would remove them all together, not just for SEOs and designers. If we wanted to search map results, we'd click the map tab, imo.

#11 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

fair points Kaz.

I guess the maps results can be annoying and do take up valuable real estate above the fold detracting form the standard organic listings.

Hey as long as you're happy Jill, that's the main thing wink1.gif

#12 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 7 2010, 09:11 AM) View Post
No, I like it.

Having those map results show up before client optimized sites suck. I wish they would remove them all together, not just for SEOs and designers. If we wanted to search map results, we'd click the map tab, imo.

I am with you Jill, and as for the crap twitter posts appearing above decent content girl_cray2.gif

#13 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

I agree about those twitter posts showing up in results! Especially when they are constantly updating. How annoying!

Hopefully that experiment won't last too long in Google's results.

It would be fine if someone had entered twitter as a search term but when you are searching for something and the twitter posts show in the results...that's too much.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

I agree about those twitter posts showing up in results! Especially when they are constantly updating. How annoying!

We were actually talking about Google Local Maps showing up in results in this thread, not the Twitter posts. That's a whole 'nother animal!

#15 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

I do think it is rather apt though Jill, I think we are all starting to get peed off with the amount of crap G! is serving up above the fold and of course the organic listings.

Yet they seems to be failing to deliver targeted content when it is specifically requested.

The search horizon for the next decade is certainly going to be a complex one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!