• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Homepage Keywords Versus Sending Visitors To The Correct Page

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robmuller

Robmuller

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hi

I run a global directory of restaurants. Every city in the directory has its own page which is SEO-ed around the topic (title, keywords, content, etc). To emphasize the most important 20 cities I have added these as keywords (attribute) to the homepage (london, New York, etc). Now something strange happens: Google tends to prefer to send visitors who are looking for restaurants in one of these 20 cities to the homepage in stead of deep linking to correct 'city' page.

My question: what is wise in my situation? On the one hand I like to put emphasize on the most important cities by adding them as keywords to the homepage, on the other I think visitors who prefer to land on the correct page.

Any thoughts?

Rob

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,669 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Having the "keywords" on the "home page" doesn't emphasise those words/phrases.

SEs rank pages, they don't care if it is your home page or any other page on the site.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:21 AM

My question: what is wise in my situation? On the one hand I like to put emphasize on the most important cities by adding them as keywords to the homepage, on the other I think visitors who prefer to land on the correct page.

It's a tricky one. Google seems to be doing this more and more lately which is weird. You'd think they'd want to show the correct landing page to people.

[Tinfoil Hat On]
Seems like yet another trick to try to get webmasters to use Adwords where they can choose which page someone lands on.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Just to clarify: the word "London" appears only once on the page, and that's the anchor text of a link to the London page? The word isn't even in the home page's title or meta data? Or does "I have added these as keywords (attribute) to the homepage" mean the word is only in the meta keywords tag and doesn't even appear on the page once?

#5 Robmuller

Robmuller

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 5 2010, 01:07 PM) View Post
Just to clarify: the word "London" appears only once on the page, and that's the anchor text of a link to the London page? The word isn't even in the home page's title or meta data? Or does "I have added these as keywords (attribute) to the homepage" mean the word is only in the meta keywords tag and doesn't even appear on the page once?

Hi

First of all thank you for your help. The word "london" is in the titel & keyword attributes of the homepage and there is an internal link with the correct anchor text ("London restaurants") linking to the relevant landing page. All city pages (about 600) have an internal link to the 20 most important cities, so I try to manage the Google juice towards these cities (my question is about one of these top 20 cities). Besides that I ask restaurants to put a link on their site deeplinking to the corect page (e.g. a restaurant in London places a link with the anchor text "London restaurants" to the the relevant London restaurant page).

On the one hand I get a feeling that Google indexes my site high because the name of the city in combination with the word restaurant is in the title and keyword attributes of the homepage, I find it annoying that Google prefers the home page for "London restaurants" searches above the relevant page. I also wonder what would happen to the ranking for relevant searches (again "London restaurants") when I remove the city names from the title and keyword attribute. My theory is as follows:
- Google will index the relevant page for "London restaurants", e.g. www.example.com/london-restaurants in stead of homepage
- The deeplink inbound links become more relevant because Google now indexes the correct page with dozens of internal and external links with the correct anchor text
- It will also result in a lower bounce rate, because there is a bigger change visitors find what they are looking for. I would asume that Google takes this Google Analytics data into their algorithm.

Best wishes

Rob

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

I'm going to have to assume that when you use the phrase "keyword attributes" you're referring to the meta keywords tag. That is, you've got something like this in your home page's source code:
HTML
<meta name="keywords" content="London, Paris, Rome">

That tag is ignored by the search engines. It doesn't matter if it's there or not. However, you say you've got "London" or "London Restaurants" in your title element. That's making a big difference. If you remove that, so that the only instance of the word "London" is in the anchor text of a link pointing to the internal page, then I doubt your home page will continue to outrank the London page, especially if you've got backlinks pointing to the London page with the right anchor text from other sites.

That doesn't guarantee that the London page will start ranking for whatever search your home page is currently coming up for. I'm sure you've got lots of competition from other sites. But it should make the internal page the most relevant one for that search on your site in the eyes of the search engines.

#7 Robmuller

Robmuller

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

I will change the title tag of the homepage and see what happens. Keep you posted.

Best wishes

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!