• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Using An Old Ip Address On A New Site And Serp Consequences

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flinx777

flinx777

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

Greetings,

So I have a server with up to 4 IP Addresses that are provided to me. I just had a client move their site I was hosting to a different server freeing up an IP Address for me on my server. At the same time I launched a new site on this server and simply put it on the IP Address of the site that had just moved to another server. In other words old site was using IP Address "ABC" then moved to a different IP Address (and server) and I put the new site on this IP Address "ABC". I went in today and looked at Google Analytics. It shows that people arriving at the new site based off information that used to be on the old site. In other words it would appear that Google was caching the the old site for that IP Address and directing people to this new site based on those keywords. I didn't know this would happen. It appears that it stopped after a certain date. I guess my question is does this hurt the ranking of the new site I just launched? Not sure if Google sees this as a bait-and-switch scenario or not. I was surprised to find out how many pages back it scored for its keywords and I'm beginning to wonder if any of this IP Address modifications had any bearing on it. If so, I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to resolve this situation?

Thanks for any insight!

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:09 AM

It shouldn't hurt anything in the long run. Websites change hosting services all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!