• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Backlink From A .gov Domain

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hi everyone ..

Merry Christmas (sorry it's late) .. and Happy new year (sorry it's early biggrin.gif)

I just got an offer , I don't know if I go for it or no ..
So I need your help guys ..

it's a backlink from .gov domain .. seems great .. but actually it's a .gov.cn ..
The page is in Chinese ..

My website is in English .. make no sense but the .gov.cn extension made me think .. and then made me post and ask ..

Thanks for your help.
I appreciate it.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

There's no special extra boost from a .gov link, it's just a link like any other, despite what some others might tell you.

That said, if that page wants to link to you, regardless of its TLD, then that's fine for you.

Of course, if they're asking for something in return you have to weigh the costs.

#3 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 28 2009, 08:42 AM) View Post
There's no special extra boost from a .gov link, it's just a link like any other, despite what some others might tell you.

That said, if that page wants to link to you, regardless of its TLD, then that's fine for you.

Of course, if they're asking for something in return you have to weigh the costs.

Thanks for answering quickly Jill. I appreciate it.

#4 blackirish.ken

blackirish.ken

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 28 2009, 08:42 AM) View Post

I'm going to respectfully disagree here with Jill based on some of my own theoretical logic. Unlike .coms, .orgs, etc, .gov and .edu TLDs are restricted. In other words, not everyone can log into GoDaddy and purchase a .edu. You have to be an accredited university. To me, that factor alone (one of exclusivity), makes an endorsement/link from a restricted TLD more valuable.

I'd also argue, that restricted TLDs like .edus attract a higher caliber of link. Sure, they attract their fair share of junk links like any other high profile site, but because a .edu is often a noteworthy and newsworthy institute of higher learning, with research arms, community service arms, educational resources, media hungry professors, etc. these factors make them very "linkable," more so than most other sites. So getting a link from a .edu gives you the indirect benefits of all those other linking sources.

That's my take and I'd love to hear any dissenting views.

Cheers!
Ken

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 28 2009, 01:42 PM) View Post

I have always thought any .gov links are juice links??

If any site be it .org, .edu, .gov (no matter what country it comes from) wants to link to you...bite their arm off!

unsure.gif

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree here with Jill based on some of my own theoretical logic. Unlike .coms, .orgs, etc, .gov and .edu TLDs are restricted.

In the case of .edu's pretty much any college student can create a website or page on their university site and offer links. Making that theory not hold water, imo.

Now .gov's are probably harder to get a hold of.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

umm.... Ken? No.

.gov to some degree (and here we're talking about a .gov.cn which is a whole other animal than a .gov) and especially .edu site are the two most hacked TLD's out there. Because no single person has responsibility for them and because there are so darned many fingers in the pie those are the worst TLD's to trust if you're going to assign a higher or lower trust value to the TLD.

I'm not going to say who showed it to me, but once someone who works at Google and has the ability to see these things showed me a report that gave very, very strong hints that at least 95% of all .edu (US based) sites had been hacked in some way by at least one or two someone's who wanted to gain links. No way .com's are ever going to reach that level of corruption.

Beyond this little bit of tid, Google themselves have said multiple times that the TLD doesn't matter for things like this. The only thing they use that for is when they're trying to push a site up in local results.

#8 blackirish.ken

blackirish.ken

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 28 2009, 04:21 PM) View Post
In the case of .edu's pretty much any college student can create a website or page on their university site and offer links. Making that theory not hold water, imo.

Hey, Jill. For the record, I worked the Web for a prominent .edu for eight years. During that time, I also got to meet and network with many others in .edu Web community. First, it's pretty much standard at most universities that students do not have the ability to create anything without going through the campus Web office. Anyone looking to create a Website on the domain or subdomain needed our permission, and we were pretty stingy. Plus, all content, especially student blogs, was heavily moderated by campus Web editors within a CMS workflow. Nothing got published on the website that didn't meet our Web standards. And again, these policies have been adopted by many in the higher ed Web space.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

Unfortunately, not all schools are as vigilant as the one you worked at, Ken.

See student web pages as a starter...

In fact, it took me less than 1 min. of clicking through that serp to find this:

students.kennesaw.edu/~mndungu4/websites.html

Paid for links, no doubt.

Funny, because it was the first page I checked. Just a random letter, and random person's page. Yet there were the paid links!

#10 blackirish.ken

blackirish.ken

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hey, Jill.

Good stuff. Those crazy college kids and their paid links.

Yeah, there's abuse in every industry, but I still maintain that most legitimate universities that care about brand integrity have pretty tight sites, which wasn't the case even as recently as 5 years ago. That's been my experience anyway.

Happy New Year!

#11 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

True dat Ken. The uni's have gotten a lot better in recent years.

What I still see the most often is something like a Wiki that someone installed and promptly forgot about months or years ago. With no security updates and no moderation the Wiki usually becomes overrun with all sorts of link spamming.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, there's abuse in every industry, but I still maintain that most legitimate universities that care about brand integrity have pretty tight sites, which wasn't the case even as recently as 5 years ago. That's been my experience anyway.

But the point is, imo, that it makes no sense whatsoever for Google to give any special boost to an .edu domain.

The regular way that they weight pages should work perfectly fine, whether the site is an .edu, .gov, .com or whatever.

#13 pmolds

pmolds

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

.gov domain links will be added your site prestige, do you agree?

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

Prestige?

No, no more than any other links add value. The TLD just doesn't make some magical difference, except where geo-location is concerned.

#15 Ohioquotes

Ohioquotes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

Just last night, I looked at all of the Ivy League School websites (Cornell, Harvard etc...) All are .edu and only one allowed you to link. I actually osted on a Forum about the time MANY years ago we played Harvard in football!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!