• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect With Secondary Domain Names

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

To pick up the story after talking with GoDaddy a 5th time... (I'm like a bulldog)... we get down to the nitty gritty of what my problem is... I am posting their support email sent to me... I have "xxx'd" out critical information on the chat company name (feel free to edit more if you need).

Hoping someone with knowledge of this "quirk" can shed some light as to whether I should even be worried about the subsequent 302 redirect as presented ?? It is confirmed that GoDaddy is in fact sending 301 perm forwarding as requested, but due to some chat technology coding on our sites, SEO redirect tools are about 50% of the time picking up the 302 from this third party chat technology on our sites, despite the original redirect actually being a 301. I have posed this concern to xxxxChat.com and I am awaiting their tech support follow up . We have been using this technology going into third year now and have not seen any SEO issues / ranking drops, etc. thus far. Just hoping that by forwarding another version of the domain name as a 301 won't complicate our SEO position with search engines, being half the time it appears it could be seen as a 301 or 302 because of this internal link on our sites... (man, I need a ale.gif )

From GoDaddy today:
==============

Our Advanced Technical Support team has reviewed your issue for further clarification. We stated in the previous response that it appears the site you are forwarding to is using a 302 redirect. What we mean by this is that although domain1.COM is using a 301 redirect to www.domain2.com/, your website www.domain2.com/ contains links that the some redirect tools are seeing, while others don't.

In further review, to clarify, you have an image on your homepage which references to the following link:
cbi.xxxxchat.com/aid/560146785750513090/bc.cbi?cbdid=4512723368940817607&wdid=619360935152685808
This image is a link that redirects to www.domain2.com/img/support_closed_button_revised1.gif and this redirect is a 302 redirect. We advise fixing this issue within your code, or resaving your image and links in a different manner, as this will fix the problem the redirect tools are seeing. You may also want to review the rest of your website for additional hyperlink and coding issues.

==============================================================

Thanks for any insights you might have ! notworthy.gif

#17 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

I won't even get into what they're telling you about the chat tool. It may or may not be correct. I haven't looked at it.

The problem is their original point and premise is flat out wrong. If you load up the domain1 address (the insurance one) in a tool like WebBug (make sure to check off HTTP Ver 1.1 in this tool) or in a web based header checker like mine you'll see that they report the redirect as a 302. Not a 301 as GoDaddy claims.

This is a problem if you want it to be a 301.

They're still giving you the run around and not telling you the truth. I seriously doubt you're going to get anywhere with them either, considering this has been a known problem with their platform for years.

#18 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Well this godaddy thing really stinks. I have a couple of domain names I am forwarding through them and I never bothered to verify 301 vs 302. Sure enough, they are all 302's in spite of what I asked for. It's amazing that they can't get this right in 2010.

#19 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 7 2010, 12:23 PM) View Post
I won't even get into what they're telling you about the chat tool. It may or may not be correct. I haven't looked at it.

The problem is their original point and premise is flat out wrong. If you load up the domain1 address (the insurance one) in a tool like WebBug (make sure to check off HTTP Ver 1.1 in this tool) or in a web based header checker like mine you'll see that they report the redirect as a 302. Not a 301 as GoDaddy claims.

This is a problem if you want it to be a 301.

They're still giving you the run around and not telling you the truth. I seriously doubt you're going to get anywhere with them either, considering this has been a known problem with their platform for years.

Randy -- thanks for the insights. What about this tool: www internetofficer.com/seo-tool/redirect-check --- when entering a few other sites of mine like www.eglobalinsurance.com and www.bransoncottage.com they come back 301's (just did it)... where as i did the highlimitaccidentlife.com several times and got both a 302 and now showing 301 after cking again...????? is this a tool issue or would you think it has something to do with the coding on that link in my chat service ? (feel free to delete the domains above...)

Thanks again... I'm throughly confused...

Edited by chrishirst, 08 January 2010 - 05:31 PM.

#20 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(etzeppy @ Jan 8 2010, 11:24 AM) View Post
Well this godaddy thing really stinks. I have a couple of domain names I am forwarding through them and I never bothered to verify 301 vs 302. Sure enough, they are all 302's in spite of what I asked for. It's amazing that they can't get this right in 2010.

etzeppy, you should call them and complain... i'd be interested to hear what they tell you... girl_cray2.gif

#21 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(eglobalhealth @ Jan 8 2010, 01:23 PM) View Post
etzeppy, you should call them and complain... i'd be interested to hear what they tell you... girl_cray2.gif

I'll file a trouble ticket. I don't have time for a telephone runaround. Based on what I have read here, I should not expect resolution.

#22 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

Don't know the tool you mentioned so won't comment about it specifically. But I will say this. If you get different results in the redirect code simply by resubmitting or refreshing pages I would be inclined to think something funny is going on. Either with the tool itself, or perhaps with the browser and how it's configured.

It could be the tool, if it's sending over HTTP Ver 1.0 requests. HTTP Version 1.0 was incredibly buggy where status codes were concerned, which not something every tool developer is aware of. This HTTP 1.0 bug was what caused so many issues with 301s and other redirects with the search engines a few years ago before they finally got around to upgrading their spiders to send HTTP 1.1 requests. You see, a well configured server is built to respond to 1.0 requests with a 1.0 compatible answer. Even though 1.0 was known to be buggy.

If you're on a PC you'd be doing yourself a huge favor to grab a copy of free Webbug software. I linked to it earlier in this thread. The only thing you need to remember with that one is to make sure you tick off HTTP Ver 1.1 in the upper right corner. Do this one simple thing every time and it'll give you the correct answer every time. If you want to have some real fun you can even make it appear to be Googlebot giggle.gif though I've never found that to be necessary for redirect status codes.

#23 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(eglobalhealth @ Jan 8 2010, 01:16 PM) View Post
Randy -- thanks for the insights. What about this tool: www internetofficer.com/seo-tool/redirect-check --- when entering a few other sites of mine like www.eglobalinsurance.com and www.bransoncottage.com they come back 301's (just did it)... where as i did the highlimitaccidentlife.com several times and got both a 302 and now showing 301 after cking again...????? is this a tool issue or would you think it has something to do with the coding on that link in my chat service ? (feel free to delete the domains above...)

Thanks again... I'm throughly confused...

http://www.interneto...redirect-check/ returns 302 for my GoDaddy redirects too but a dozen or so other tools all report 302. I assumed there was something wrong with that tool.

#24 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(eglobalhealth @ Jan 8 2010, 01:23 PM) View Post

I filed a trouble ticket with GoDaddy and got this back:

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

We are able to see that the domain redirects with a 301 redirect just fine. In order to properly address and support your inquiry, please respond with the specific site where you are seeing that the redirects report as 302. Once you have provided this information we will be happy to investigate the matter further.

I replied back with 4 different tools (including Randy's) that all report 302, but i don't expect this to go anywhere.

#25 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

but i don't expect this to go anywhere.

Sadly, I don't either.

It's been an issue with GoDaddy as long as I can remember. Which is basically since they first came on the scene.

If you run the test with WebBug or with my little online tool you'll see that the first redirect is not even going to another domain. It's just to a /?80e1a008 type of address in the Location: header. This may be 90% of the reason GoDaddy has always had such issues with redirects.

#26 etzeppy

etzeppy

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jan 9 2010, 10:45 PM) View Post
Sadly, I don't either.

It's been an issue with GoDaddy as long as I can remember. Which is basically since they first came on the scene.

If you run the test with WebBug or with my little online tool you'll see that the first redirect is not even going to another domain. It's just to a /?80e1a008 type of address in the Location: header. This may be 90% of the reason GoDaddy has always had such issues with redirects.

As expected, here is the brush off message received back....

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the confusion. Please be advised that different SEO tools may interpret the header information in different ways. The test we have performed shows that only the 301 redirect is showing and not the 302 for the domain names provided. I apologize for any inconvenience in this matter.

#27 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(etzeppy @ Jan 10 2010, 08:43 PM) View Post

I am sorry for the confusion. Please be advised that different SEO tools may interpret the header information in different ways.

Thats speak for "sorry sir...we dont know our elbow from our arse!

I only buy my domains from them because they keep jamming my inbox with 20% off vouchers every fortnight!

I host elsewhere!

Absolute Bull!

unsure.gif

#28 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(etzeppy @ Jan 10 2010, 03:43 PM) View Post

]Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the confusion. Please be advised that different SEO tools may interpret the header information in different ways. The test we have performed shows that only the 301 redirect is showing and not the 302 for the domain names provided. I apologize for any inconvenience in this matter.

Can you have them show you a screenshot that shows the 301?

It's truly unbelievable that they just refuse to tell the truth that they just can't do 301s for whatever reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.