• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect With Secondary Domain Names

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

I have a main domain that is highly ranked and is our primary website. I also have about 20 additional domain names, utilizing our trademark and other extensions like .com, .org, .biz, .mobi, etc.

Simply my question / concern is that I can successfully and without loosing any sleep, do a 301 redirect / domain forward for these various domain names to the primary site? Everything I read about it states that I should have no SEO issues with our primary domain SEO / SEM ?

Is that correct ?

Thanks,

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Is that correct ?

Yes.

#3 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 27 2009, 09:53 PM) View Post
Yes.

Thanks Jill ! I always feel confident in any advise you give out regarding SEO and as always I appreciate your direct response.

One last slant on the same theme... Q: Will a 301 redirect at all help rankings with the main URL it is forwarding to ?

Thanks again and Happy New Year !

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

Will a 301 redirect at all help rankings with the main URL it is forwarding to ?

Only if those additional domains have links pointing to them. If they do, then those links will start to count towards the main site.

Basically the 301's allow you to concentrate everything where it needs to be, and keeps from having any duplicate content issues if you had previously been aliasing the extra domains.

#5 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Dec 28 2009, 11:52 AM) View Post
Only if those additional domains have links pointing to them. If they do, then those links will start to count towards the main site.

Basically the 301's allow you to concentrate everything where it needs to be, and keeps from having any duplicate content issues if you had previously been aliasing the extra domains.

Thanks Randy ! So as I understand it to be correct, I should have no fears about setting all my domains to the main URL ? Interestingly enough I just got off the phone with GoDaddy Techs as I noticed yesterday after setting the links to perm redirect (301) they are today showing 302 status... after talking with GoDaddy at length, they stated that their tech side says that a perm redirect request is actually noted as a 302 for 7 days and then changed to a 301 (despite there being a way to select a perm redirect from the get go)... they said it's a querk with their server or something. Any issues with this ? If the domain being forwarded is crawled in that window of 7 days, is there anything bad that would happen or be attributed to the end main URL being a 302 or temp redirect ? I confirmed the status with several 301 redirect tools on the web and to my surprise this is what I found ....

We've worked hard to follow all the SEO rules out there and want to make sure we handle this in the most appropriate way. I bought a bunch of domains that have our trademark name in some form or fashion within them and would sure like to rest easy knowing I don't have to leave them "parked" at GoDaddy for all to see their "parked advert pages" on our URL. I can see how more people should be probably using this feature...

Thanks again and sorry for the ramble...

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

Don't believe GoDaddy. They always say that. For some reason they don't know how to do 301 redirects. You may need to find a better way of doing your redirects than what they offer.

See our 301-Redirect Forum for more info. (I'm moving this thread there, as a matter of fact.)

#7 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

So in 7 days if it is in fact not moved over to a 301 I should turn off forwarding and re-evaluate the thread ? Or should I ditch it now ?

Thanks,

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

You can certainly try waiting for the 7 days, but I can't imagine what they do in that time!

Anyone else had their 302 change to a 301 with GoDaddy in that period of time? (Seems odd that they can't do it right away.)

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

I don't use GoDaddy, obviously since I run my own servers. But I've heard of their sales/support people telling that little fable before.

For the record, there is no reason for it to be a 302 for seven days than change to a 301. For that to happen would mean that someone would have to go in and expressly declare the redirect as a 301 a week after the fact, instead of just doing that from the get go.

There may be other ways to handle it eglobalhealth, depending upon the type of server your site is hosted on (*nix or IIS) and if it's unix/linux if you have the ability to make use of Apache's mod rewrite module.

Personally, I'd give it the week because you have basically nothing to lose. And I hope you wrote down the name of the person who told you that, so you can name them specifically when you need to call them back to deal with it again in a week. angel_not.gif

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

The stories GoDaddy tells about their 302/301 problem is kind of funny. I've heard them tell others that while it shows a 302 http header status, it's really a 301 anyway. giggle.gif

I think they hope you'll just forget about it and leave them alone.

#11 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 28 2009, 05:23 PM) View Post
The stories GoDaddy tells about their 302/301 problem is kind of funny. I've heard them tell others that while it shows a 302 http header status, it's really a 301 anyway. giggle.gif

I think they hope you'll just forget about it and leave them alone.

Yeah... I'm on the phone now with them... I feel like more of the SEO expert than they do wink1.gif -- thanks to the forum !

They are trying to tell me that the change takes 24 hours to one week... they are referring to "propogation" time it sounds like (can't imagine that has anything to do with this)... the forwarding request change actually took effect in one hours time. I told them it's not a matter of time to propogate as I initially requested it be a perm redirect and not a temporary, as the choice is given to me in the GoDaddy Domain Manager. When testing out the server response on multiple tools on the Net they all come back as 302's. I told them they have some problem with their Domain Manager tool ... can't imagine all requests for forwarding are coded as 302's regardless of what you ask for ???? And I wait on perpetual hold.... cry_smile.gif

More to come .... stay tuned for the offical (second response)... it's gotta be good, as I've been on hold for about 30 minutes...

#12 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Sooooo.... here it is. A quote from Paul at GoDaddy..." It's not up to us but the search engines decide whether you get a 301 or 302, regardless of what you request". Does any of that make sense to anyone out there ???

Should I not use forwarding as a 302 period ! Am i better off leaving the domains parked or is there another solution to getting a 301 forward... man what a mess !!!

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

can't imagine all requests for forwarding are coded as 302's regardless of what you ask for ????

Yes. That's exactly what they do.

Sooooo.... here it is. A quote from Paul at GoDaddy..." It's not up to us but the search engines decide whether you get a 301 or 302, regardless of what you request". Does any of that make sense to anyone out there ???

No. That's total BS.

It's quite amazing that they still give that line of bull in just about 2010. Why they don't just tell the truth that they only do 302's and if you don't like it too bad, I don't know.

You should definitely look into an alternative way to 301 them if you can.

#14 eglobalhealth

eglobalhealth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 28 2009, 11:54 PM) View Post
Yes. That's exactly what they do.
No. That's total BS.

It's quite amazing that they still give that line of bull in just about 2010. Why they don't just tell the truth that they only do 302's and if you don't like it too bad, I don't know.

You should definitely look into an alternative way to 301 them if you can.

Thank you all for your time and comments (great information!)... love the forum. Happy New Years ! bubbly.gif

#15 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Just to follow up and reconfirm --in case you feel like referring the GoDaddy folks you speak to here giggle.gif

Yes every excuse they've tried to give you is complete and utter bs. There is no propagation involved in the process, assuming of course the domains were already pointing at the GoDaddy nameservers. Which they would be by default if you purchased the domains through GoDaddy. Propagation is a Domain Name issue, not a redirect one. There is no propagation involved in 301 (or 302 for that matter) redirects.

Servers typically default to a 302 redirect status code for some very good reasons if a status code is not expressly declared. But all it takes to get a 302 to be a 301 is to tell the server you want it to be a 301. It's not that difficult. Either GoDaddy's internal tools don't have this ability, in which case they should stop even hinting that it's a 301, or they're support people are too lazy to do it.

The search engines have no say in whether it's a 301 or 302. They only believe what the server says. As they should. For historical sake, this is why there was such an issue with redirects back in the HTTP 1.0 days. HTTP Version 1.0 was horribly buggy in how it reported status codes in the header. So when all of the servers were HTTP 1.0 compliant and even when servers moved to HTTP version 1.1 but the bots were still HTTP 1.0 it was horrid. Because if the bot sent a 1.0 request the 1.1 server would fall back to 1.0 to provide backwards compatibility. Nowadays all servers support HTTP 1.1, and a few years ago the last of the search engine bots were upgraded to sent HTTP 1.1 requests.

Now, as to your question of whether there's another way to do it the answer is Maybe. If your server happens to be a Unix/Linux system running Apache, and if it has mod_rewrite support there's probably an easier way to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish without having to argue with GoDaddy's sorry customer service department. Basically you simply park or alias all of the additional domains on top of your main domain, then place a small instruction in an .htaccess file at the root level of your web site that says:

CODE
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.maindomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.maindomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Note that you don't have to reference any of the extra domains in the above. Just the main domain you want everything to end up at. The !^ part above means does not begin with so the Rewrite Condition only fires when someone requests a page that doesn't point to your main domain's web address, with the www appended to the beginning of the hostname. So in theory the above will cure both parked and non-www requests for your site.

You may want to give that a try to see if it'll work for you. Of course to test it you'll need to remove the 302 redirect and go back to a plain old domain parking set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.