• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Is Confusing Our .fr Site With Our .be One

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dtenen

dtenen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hi,

Upon a recent check of our site we found only the index page is not indexed from the 200+ URL's on the site.

I noticed the cache of the site shows up with our French site, however this is only the case for the index page. The internal pages (which are indexed) are cached as .be and not as .fr.

What could be possible reason for only the index page not being crawled/indexed?
How can the .be cache show up as it's own cache instead of referring to our french site in cache?

Background info:

Our .fr and .be sites are hosted in their own countries, geo-targeted properly and the only issue I can see is both sites serving french content instead of fr using french as primary and the .be using dutch as primary. Our team in Belgium wants french as the main language which then makes me wonder if Google is treating our .be as the same site as .fr due to the 'similar' content. Furthermore, what confuses me is the internal french pages on .be are indexed and show up in cache on .be.

I hope it's not too confusing...

Thanks!

Dave

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

It sounds amazingly similar to what's happening in this thread, so you might want to take a look there.

#3 dtenen

dtenen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Dec 23 2009, 03:44 AM) View Post
It sounds amazingly similar to what's happening in this thread, so you might want to take a look there.

Thanks Randy.

The scenario is similar, but not quite.
We have a .be site which serves French content and a .fr site which does the same. We want the .be to rank in Belgium and .fr to rank in France. They have local ip's are they are geo'd properly. There is no 301 between the two, they are separate sites.

.fr ranks in France and only the .be index is not ranking, nor indexed and shows a cached version of our .fr site. All internal pages cache as .be, it's just that index page : /

Thanks again.

Dave

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

But the content of both sites is the same Dave?

That's the impression I got from your initial question. Both are in French language and are either exactly the same or essentially the same. If that's the case I can see why Google would consider them to be the same site, especially as more and more people buy up ccTLD's trying to force their site to the top ranking spots across multiple countries when everything is the same.

Not that there's anything at all wrong with having a .be site that uses French as the language. After all, it is one of the official languages designated as I understand it.

#5 dtenen

dtenen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Randy, you are correct. The new content is similar on both sites. The old content was an exact replica of .fr and I think you're right in saying this caused google to see both as one site (and filter the weaker one).

The Belgium site was crawled 2hrs ago, the index page was indexed and the cache showing up as .be rather than .fr.
I submitted a reconsideration request 2 weeks ago thinking this may be a potential google error and asked for a manual cleanup.

I'm actually seeing less or no duplicate filters across our sites even though each site has multiple languages (with duplicate content across sites) which are crawled and indexed in their geolocation.

Thanks again, your time and advice is much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!