• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Choosing Keywords For A New Site(small Local Busniess)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SVET

SVET

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hello everybody,
i have small local business "rental bicycles, bike tours in central park, NY"
know i am working on website. and i am not sure with keywords(SEO, organic)
i was making research on keywords:
keyword - mnthly number
BIKE RENTALS NYC - 900, BIKE RENTALS CENTRAL PARK 600
BIKE RENTAL NYC - 1900, BIKE RENTAL CENTRAL PARK 1,600
BIKE RENTAL NEW YORK - 1900
NYC BIKE TOUR - 3600
CENTRAL PARK BIKE TOURS 1000,
bicycle REBTAL NEW YORK 720,
BIKE RIDE NYC 1000
>>>
i analyse top sytes on these searches>it seams i can compete tham(pr2,3. google index30,50)
but im not sure which keywords to keep a focus on? or should i focus on all of them?
i just whant to cho0se the right start for the site.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

Yes, all of them since they're all relevant to what you offer. There are probably a lot more as well.

#3 Theo

Theo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:59 AM

Yes, indeed. All of them.

In order for these not to compete against one another, create 1 web page per keyword.
Do not use all these on the same page!

Make sure you include the keyword in your title, in your description and in your keyword tag on the page itself.

Make sure each page has original, if possible entertaining content and pictures.

Use customer referrals on each page.

If possible, create an opt-in form for returning visitors to subscribe to so you can send them a newsletter.
You could entice them with a free coupon for the first 15 min of rental free or something similar.

Also, give your pictures a relevant keyword name, as that also attracts traffic.

Just my 2 cents though.
Theo

#4 SVET

SVET

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

Jill, thx .
Theo, BIG BIG thank you for step by step algorith to action for a newbie))) really apriciate it!

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Theo @ Jan 6 2010, 09:59 AM) View Post
In order for these not to compete against one another, create 1 web page per keyword.

One web page per keyword??

Would you not have to 'stuff' the page for this theory to work, hence going against 'ethical' SEO grain??

Thats of course being that G hasn't already penalised you.

unsure.gif

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,611 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

It depends on the site and the level of competition. There might be a lot of competition out there for both the singular and plural of a phrase, and that might suggest to you that you ought to optimize separate pages for each version, but the nature of the site might not let you. For example, if you sell desk chairs, you can probably optimize a category page for [desk chairs] and a product page for [desk chair]. But if it's between [NYC bike rental] and [NYC bike rentals] I think it's going to be tougher to figure out how to create two different pages with truly different content just as a response to a perceived level of competition.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

Would you not have to 'stuff' the page for this theory to work, hence going against 'ethical' SEO grain??

Not sure what keyword stufing has to do with ethics.

It's silly/stupid, but certainly not unethical.

For what it's worth, just because a page is only optimized for one-keyword phrase doesn't mean it has to be keyword stuffed. I personally prefer to optimize for more than one, but it's not impossible, especially for very short pages of content to be optimized for just one phrase.

#8 ArtphotoasiA

ArtphotoasiA

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(SVET @ Dec 21 2009, 05:01 AM) View Post
keyword - mnthly number
BIKE RENTALS NYC - 900, BIKE RENTALS CENTRAL PARK 600
BIKE RENTAL NYC - 1900, BIKE RENTAL CENTRAL PARK 1,600
BIKE RENTAL NEW YORK - 1900
NYC BIKE TOUR - 3600
CENTRAL PARK BIKE TOURS 1000,
bicycle REBTAL NEW YORK 720,
BIKE RIDE NYC 1000

Can someone be kind and suggest the best free tool in order to get results like above ?

I mean I do would like to know easily how many people is searching some of my keywords on the net in order to find better alternative.

I guess the balance is:

1) key with few competitors
2) key that many poeple search daily

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Google Keyword Tool.

#10 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(ArtphotoasiA @ Jan 11 2010, 06:53 PM) View Post
1) key with few competitors
2) key that many poeple search daily

Is your speciality the complete obvious?

Do you know what the best tool is?

Whenever I am about to start a new campaign, I hire a room, go out and get a load of completely random people in the room...buy them lunch and make them feel like they are getting something.

I display my product in the room and I say: " Right! What would you type in google to search for that!"

I also ask them what their default Search Engine is...and do you know what? the people whom have google as their default SE use completely different search terms comparative to those who predominantly use Yahoo.

The amount of common info I get is unbelievable. I do this every single time!
Bottom Line artphotasia, I do not use any keyword tool at all..except real physical human beings!

The rewards for doing this by far outweigh what I have spent!

unsure.gif

#11 SEO FF

SEO FF

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Kaz007 @ Jan 12 2010, 11:06 AM) View Post
Whenever I am about to start a new campaign, I hire a room, go out and get a load of completely random people in the room...buy them lunch and make them feel like they are getting something.

I display my product in the room and I say: " Right! What would you type in google to search for that!"

I also ask them what their default Search Engine is...and do you know what? the people whom have google as their default SE use completely different search terms comparative to those who predominantly use Yahoo.

The amount of common info I get is unbelievable. I do this every single time!
Bottom Line artphotasia, I do not use any keyword tool at all..except real physical human beings!

The rewards for doing this by far outweigh what I have spent! unsure.gif

This sounds like a great approach. I'm a big fan of brainstorming myself to see what people think. The more the merrier. Roughly what is your sample size?

While using real people will help you narrow things down, how do you know which terms to choose after the suggestions roll in? What makes you say, these are the 3, 2 or 1 term(s) I'm going to target for said product or page?

I like this approach.....

#12 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Kaz007 has the common sense thing down - I like that :-).

But let me ask you two things, please:

1) You hire completely random people? I assume it'd be a better approach to find a group of people who would actually end up typing something like that into Google without your asking them (the right demographic). Then again, I dont know how you would find them to be honest. Maybe give another website in that niche some money to run a survey like that..? No idea..just meant to point that one out/ask it (as it seems to me that the right demographic actually interested in the product would be just as important or more than people using the right search engine).

2)
The rewards for doing this by far outweigh what I have spent!

How do you know? Did you use keyword tools in the past and get worse results generally?

PS:

Dont get me wrong - I really like that approach, Im just curious about it.

#13 firedog

firedog

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(PatrickGer @ Feb 14 2010, 10:47 PM) View Post
Kaz007 has the common sense thing down - I like that :-).

But let me ask you two things, please:

1) You hire completely random people? I assume it'd be a better approach to find a group of people who would actually end up typing something like that into Google without your asking them (the right demographic). Then again, I dont know how you would find them to be honest. Maybe give another website in that niche some money to run a survey like that..? No idea..just meant to point that one out/ask it (as it seems to me that the right demographic actually interested in the product would be just as important or more than people using the right search engine).

2)

How do you know? Did you use keyword tools in the past and get worse results generally?

PS:

Dont get me wrong - I really like that approach, Im just curious about it.

Google keyword tool will give you the results you need, and will also tell you information about local search.

I don't think you have to make one page per phrase. Some of your phrases are so similar that you can have 2-3 of them on the same page. The slight variation in keyword use will make your writing seem more natural and less "SEO".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!