• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Want A Category In The Directory Sobi2 To Be Noindex

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

I have a Joomla website which I have built a directory in it with SOBI2. There are 2 categories in it that does not have good information and I would like the robots to not visit them. I tried a few things with the robot text but it does not work. The problem I have is that the url does not show a specific category like if you have www.example.com/fruit/apples.html than you know that it is the fruit category that you will disallow. But I just have a long url with not really anything I can see as a categpory. I am not too familiar with this.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

Are the the URL addresses dynamic and have variables and values? (eg something like www.domain.com/page.php?variable=value)

If so, look for something in the variable/value pairs that denote the category information. The variable name is often going to be something like catID or cat_id and the value may be a number or text string.

Once you identify the category id variable and the values you need to exclude the rest is pretty easy to do with robots.txt since Google allows you to exclude specific dynamic url variable/value pairs. And you can even use wildcard characters to make sure you get them all.

As an example, if your subdirectory was "sobi2" and you found a category id variable named of "cat_id" and you wanted to exclude a category that had a value of 1254 you could exclude this in robots.txt like

CODE
Disallow: /sobi2/*cat_id=1254

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Randy, I am pretty sure. I got it right. I have this question. I can you make sure that it will be noindex because when I look at the the source page you do not see the meta noindex? I just wanted to have a way to make sure it was disallowed. I took one of my entry that had never been crawled and i will check it from time to time if it get crawled.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

You lost me Marchy.

If you're making changes to your robots.txt file you won't see anything in the source code of the pages. The same is also true going the opposite direction. They're two ways to reach the same goal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!