• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Homepage Keywords

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:29 AM

I was looking recently at several sites that rank higher than me on the search engines and noticed that most of them if not all of them hand a very large number of keywords spread out all over the homepage. Now, what I mean by large spread of keywords I'm talking about keywords that would come up as highly relevent for a particular keyword, say when using the wonder wheel or some tool like that.

Let's use this as an example. Say we use Jill's town of Boston as our main keyword and say the site is a portal website for visiting Boston so it would be geared for tourists.

If I have site 1 that uses "Boston" a bunch of times on it and perhaps "Massachusetts" as the second main keyword they might do fair in the rankings. But when I look at Site 2 it uses not only the "Boston" and "Massachusetts" keywords but it also uses other keywords that are relevent to the Boston area like New England Patriots, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins, etc. etc. etc. It appears that sites like these seem to get better exposure in the SERPs. At least from the little bit I've been looking around.

My question is is it better to use just a few main keywords on a page or to use a good spread of relevent keywords in addition to maybe 3 or so main keywords? Does the use of numerous "relevent" keywords in addition to the main keywords make the search engines think site 2 should be ranked higher than say Site 1?

I realize that it is 1:27 in the morning so if this post doesn't make any sense you'll know why!! sarcastic_blum.gif

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

I think it's a matter of balance. If your site is about Boston, then how much space on the home page can you afford to use in an effort to optimize for the Celtics? The home page of any site is almost always the strongest, at least in part because it almost always has the most links pointing to it. So it may be that a mention or two of the Celtics on the home page will send a stronger signal of relevance than an entire internal page dedicated to information about them. But even if a search engine returns your home page first for the query, does that really make it the most relevant page to the query from a user's perspective? If I'm that user, and I click through from the SERP to your home page, you'd better get me to the information I want quickly, either by showing me what I want right there, above the fold on the home page, or show me how to get to it with a link to that internal page, or I'm gone.

In other words, you might manage to get a lot of good rankings for your home page, but if you don't think about whether you're providing users with whatever it is they're looking for those rankings aren't going to do you a lot of good.

In the long run, your page about the Celtics needs to be optimized and promoted because getting that page to rank well is, in my opinion, more likely to get and keep an audience of people interested in that information.

#3 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Thank you for responding qwerty. :-)

I think balance is the key as well as opposed to how many times you use the keywords. It least it should be, you shouldn't have to keyword stuff for a search engine to let them know that your page is important for a wide variety of topics or keywords.

I think natural sounding wording is the best way to go and you should be able to use your main keywords and other keywords if you balance it out right. Thank you for responding. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!