• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Need Your Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 billm

billm

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:40 AM

First I'd like to say thank you to Jill for such a great board, I've read many of your articles online and this is how I came across your HR.

Let me just say that I did read several threads before posting this one, my issue(s) are that I don't know the proper term to my question(s). I apologize if this has been covered in the past.

Here's a background on me and my dilemma.

I own a company that offers multiple services(home remodeling industry), we have a website, and have seen many competitors and non local competitors use marketing techniques to boost their rankings on google. I don't know if this is considered black hat, cloaking, etc. However, we are currently redesigning our website and asked our designer to make a static+wp site which is in the works. This main site will be our master w/ several different services that we offer.

Now, I was thinking of creating a page for the cities we cover, since we cover over 10-15 cities for our service area. There are 2-3 local company's that are doing this w/ 1-2 services they offer.

One of the competitor's sites on it's front page on the footer has their main service with multiple links to the service plus city name example:

widget plus la, ca widget plus san jose, ca(linked)
widget plus deni, ca widget plus san fran, ca(linked)
widget plus city/state, widget plus city/state(linked)

Basically 20-30 different cities hyperlinked, when clicking on these pages, the content is all the same except for the city names.

These 1-3 different company sites have been ranking #1 on google for the last few months. If any of the keyword, city/state is searched they come up on #1 ranking...usually www.widgetplus.com/widget-plus-city-state...depending on city searched.

We thought of doing something similar, perhaps one domain w/ just 1 service and all hyperlinked cities similar to above, or 1 site with different services and different city/state hyperlinked, similar content/diff city/state. Since we have a multi service company.

When I ran this thru our designer he mentioned our IP could get banned, but it's a 50/50 change it might not, he than suggest a SEO hosting account w/ diff IP's plus diff domain w/ just a landing page(1-3 pages) that are than linked to the main master. I finally checked with Godaddy about the above and they mentioned to me to not worry about google banning due to all the keywords, but they did mentioned about landing pages w/ up to 15 keywords at max.

So we feel as we are hearing many different thoughts, at this point our master site is almost done, but not sure what we do w/ other sites which will result w/ any feedback I get from all you great people. Sorry for the long book, and thank you for your time.

Bill

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

What you're describing is often referred to as "Mad-Libs SEO" -- basically boilerplate content with blanks to fill in with locations. It's garbage, and it offers little to no value for users, but I've seen a number of examples of it seeming to work.

However, it's not the sort of thing I would expect to work in the long-term. That sort of page is bound (I hope) to be filtered out as duplicate content over time. I think that if you want to rank internal pages for various city-keyword combinations, you're better off publishing testimonials from customers that mention the cities, case studies of jobs you've done, etc. I'd like to believe that Mad-Libs would only work in the absence of Real Content optimized for the same keyword phrases.

#3 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 2 2009, 12:31 PM) View Post
What you're describing is often referred to as "Mad-Libs SEO" -- basically boilerplate content with blanks to fill in with locations. It's garbage, and it offers little to no value for users, but I've seen a number of examples of it seeming to work.

However, it's not the sort of thing I would expect to work in the long-term. That sort of page is bound (I hope) to be filtered out as duplicate content over time. I think that if you want to rank internal pages for various city-keyword combinations, you're better off publishing testimonials from customers that mention the cities, case studies of jobs you've done, etc. I'd like to believe that Mad-Libs would only work in the absence of Real Content optimized for the same keyword phrases.

Hi Qwerty,

If I am forced to create landing pages for every City (we serve 130 cities and I am sure the city keywords have good traffic, easy to rank for with unique pages), since optimizing other page such as the testimonials page or the cities list page for all those keywords would not be visitor friendly, and won't convert well.

So, if I have to create a page per city I serve, how can I avoid looking Spammy? I think it would be good to:

- Have a very condensed sales text, which will be repeated on every page except for the city name.
- Add Testimonials just below the sales text. I would have to ask former clients for testimonials, an place them on the correct page as soon as I get them.
- Add an image with the exact location of the city in a CA map.
- Add the area zip codes
- Different tags of course
- Interlinking, sending extra juice to the most important cities

Please let me know if this would work?

Carlos.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Yes, as you quoted me saying a couple of years ago, it could still work, but I think it would still look spammy.

One thing that would help make the pages unique would be to ask your readers to post comments. Obviously, you'd have to check out whatever they write before you let it go live on the page, but user generated content is often a good way to make a page unique.

#5 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks!

notworthy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!