• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ppc Clicks From Non-geographic Targeted Locations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darryl

Darryl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

I setup a traffic by country specific report in Google Analytics and I'm noticing (Search only) paid clicks coming from countries that I did not specifically geotarget. I am not advertising on the Content Network, only Google Search.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Darryl

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

It isn't 100% accurate. Things like proxies can mess it up.

#3 DavidPinto

DavidPinto

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

It's been explained to me from google, that even though you have a specific geographic target, say france, that if someone outside your target types "france" into their search query, it will still show your ad. They claim it is for your benfit too. I am not sure, becuase my conversations with the google rep I was working with tended to take side tracks off point, but if you have "france" listed in your keywords or ad, that removing this might stop those clicks. Of course my point was I was atrgeting a specific location for my services, so if someone typed the location without the service I provide, it really didn't make for a good ad spot, and removing my location, kind of defeats the point of setting a targeted area.
Round and round it goes with google sometimes. I swear they think just because the click through rate goes up, that means our business profits. Not always the case.

#4 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(DavidPinto @ Feb 22 2010, 03:02 PM) View Post
They claim it is for your benfit too. I am not sure, becuase my conversations with the google rep I was working with tended to take side tracks off point,

Round and round it goes with google sometimes. I swear they think just because the click through rate goes up, that means our business profits. Not always the case.

Why do people work with a G rep??

What do you expect a G rep to say??

Google are a business...meaning they expect to make money...??

Law of the Sod..maybe...but they are authority!!

unsure.gif

#5 DavidPinto

DavidPinto

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(Kaz007 @ Feb 22 2010, 11:25 AM) View Post
Why do people work with a G rep??

What do you expect a G rep to say??

Google are a business...meaning they expect to make money...??

Law of the Sod..maybe...but they are authority!!

unsure.gif

Personally, I work with a G rep because I wouldn't know where else to get solutions.

I've never had to deal with them until this month, and have been an adword customer since 2005. I now have 2 open tickets working with them on seperate issues, and it is like dealing with automated telephone customer service. It just sucks, and they are very good at not answering direct question,but pointing you to generic responces such as... "all your clicks are verified".
The particular reply I posted above, really had nothing to do with the question I had asked the rep reguarding "adwordformobileapps.com" producing hundereds of clicks vs the 10-20 a month I got before "adsenseformobileapps.com" became active to my account. the rep solutions ranged from my keywords, to seasonal increase in traffic to my site, even though January is the slowest month of the year.

I've since noticed that google is adding keywords to my campaign that I have not authorized, and since paused the account. they were being added as fast as I was deleting them. Of course, the first reply I got back was that I had added 1 keyword back in July of 2009. I deleted 28 keywords from 1 adgroup alone on feb 17, and had 17 new ones I had to delete 2 days later.

Mabey I'll make a post on here and see if I get a faster, and more importanlty, BETTER reply.

David Pinto

#6 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(DavidPinto @ Feb 22 2010, 06:44 PM) View Post
I've since noticed that google is adding keywords to my campaign that I have not authorized, and since paused the account. they were being added as fast as I was deleting them. Of course, the first reply I got back was that I had added 1 keyword back in July of 2009. I deleted 28 keywords from 1 adgroup alone on feb 17, and had 17 new ones I had to delete 2 days later.

Mabey I'll make a post on here and see if I get a faster, and more importanlty, BETTER reply.

David Pinto

Well David, that is NOT good.

I bid on literally bundles of thousands of keywords so I can't say I have noticed this, as this is becoming quite a serious problem for you it may be a good idea to log your keywords.

Do you log your keywords? See if you do..whenever you roll out a new campaign you can put them in a folder and email them to google before you activate your campaign, so if you have this issue again you can say "hey, these are the keywords I have agreed to pay you for...why have a bunch of new ones turned up in my list??" and you would have physical evidence.

I need to be careful what I say here...but if this genuinely is the case then, IMO, it's almost fraud, they are charging you for something you have NOT agreed to. You'd have a case.

Because as you have described it, is an abuse of power on G's part.

unsure.gif

Edited by Kaz007, 22 February 2010 - 03:37 PM.

#7 DavidPinto

DavidPinto

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

Yes I will start a new post so as not to hijack this thread. Plus to get as much help from this site as I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!