• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Paying Too Much For Ppc On Our Brand Name

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 funkychicken

funkychicken

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forums so please be gentle!

I'm trying to get a better understanding about our website, SEO and AdWords spend and rather than relying on our IT department I think it is important to get the views and opinions of others where possible.

The first of my issues is how much we are spending on Google AdWords for brand related searches. As the market leader in our own market we find that plenty of the competition sponsor our name (and derivatives) on Ad Words.

We are comfortably #1 for organic search. However we don't want the competition grabbing the top stops above us on PPC so we bid on our own brand to get the #1 sponsored spot as well. I wouldn't mind too much if the clicks we are paying for only lead to new business but looking at Analytics it seems that a lot of this paid traffic is our own self employed representatives accessing the website to log on (average 1 a click)

2 questions I therefore have?

1) Is it worth 'protecting' the brand on paid search?
2) Is there any way of restricting PPC, e.g. setting a cookie or similar to say 'this person does not need to see our Ad'?

Thanks - I look forward to using the forums

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

I wouldn't mind too much if the clicks we are paying for only lead to new business but looking at Analytics it seems that a lot of this paid traffic is our own self employed representatives accessing the website to log on (average 1 a click)
Education souds like it might help.

Is there a reason they are accessing your website by first searching google and then clicking your paid advert, are they not aware of the costs they are incurring or how to correctly type an address into the address bar, without the need to search Google.

Perhaps they could add your site to their favourites?

Or show them how to create a shortcut link on their desktop?

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Education of staff is something that definitely needs to happen. Changing habits is hard to do though, and some will continue to do it simply because they can and they know it costs the company money. People are weird sometimes.

As far as the main question goes, the best way to test it is to pause the brand PPC ads for a time and measure the effect. If there is no effect on conversions and the bottom line the PPC ads aren't really helping that side of the equation. Then it becomes a question of how much you're willing to spend on brand recognition.

#4 funkychicken

funkychicken

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Cheers chaps. Education is rather difficult given that some of our self employed representatives are not exactly the most computer literate!

Is it feasible / acceptable for a program to run when a representative logs onto the system that automatically sets the website as their homepage (thus removing the need to search for it using Google)? We have set a (very obvious) 'make this my home page' button but this doesn't seem to be enough!!

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Is it feasible / acceptable for a program to run when a representative logs onto the system that automatically sets the website as their homepage (thus removing the need to search for it using Google)?

If you mean that when someone visits your page you automatically do something so that it gets set as their home page, that would be akin to vandalism imo. It would definitely be unacceptable.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:38 AM

automatically changing someone's homepage, is considered a VIRUS!

and any decent AV should block it. remember it's their homepage setting, not yours!

#7 funkychicken

funkychicken

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:37 AM

Cheers guys, very points!

Would the AV point probably be related to why only a few have set as their homepage?

i.e. They have clicked on the 'make this my home page' button but their AV / browser / toolbar etc blocked this action from happening (remember many are not high proficiency in terms of IT)

Would the best solution therefore be:

1) As part of the induction process show how to access the system AND set as homepage (still their choice but giving them guidance of how to do)
2) Have further instructions / reminder on the representative landing page to A) keep front of mind and cool.gif give guidance if forget how to do

Thoughts appreciated as ever

#8 funkychicken

funkychicken

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:40 AM

Sorry about the random emotion there - didn't realise that point 'B' would be seen as a smiley !!

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

We like sunglasses dude. wink1.gif

Let me make sure I'm clear on something. These are people using their own computers? Or on-site staff where you have control over the computer?

If it's the latter there is something you can do to stop it immediately by altering the hosts file in these PCs. They'll still see the ads on Google.com, but they won't be able to click through on the ads and if they try it wouldn't count as a click because it never actually arrives at a Google server. Let me know if that's the case and I'll dig out the appropriate entry to make in the hosts file. (I know it can be done because I have my own computer set up to do this, not so I can't click through on adwords ads but because the code also stops adwords ads on other sites from displaying.)

If it's the former there's going to be little you can do other than education. And even then they may not want to make your site their Home Page. Lots of people who use one of the free email services (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc) set that to be their home page, for obvious reasons. Or their service provider may automatically set their home page for them.

In this case education is about all you can do. Let them know they're costing you money and teach them how to set it up as a Favorite Place in their browser. If it were me I'd then set up some tracking on the site to look for hits with a referrer from the Adwords ads and track them back to the IP address. If your site requires people to log in you can then cross reference these IP numbers to the username they log in with and do some more intensive education for those specific users who aren't getting it.

#10 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

If all else fails you could use some 2x4!

I've found you tend to get more from people with a kind word and piece of 2x4 than with just a kind word on its own giggle.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!