• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Search Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hi ..
I was doing some keyword researches (fed up and want to make a new website) ..
I usually use the free seobook tool .. I found a keyword that returns 600+ daily search query in wordtracker .. 700+ daily in Google.

When I tried to verify the number using Google adwords tool, it show only 1000+ search query per month.
Also, when I tried to verify using wordtracker free, it returns no results ..

I switched off the adult filter in wordtracker and it shows the exact number from the seobook tool (600+)

So what's the issue? The problem here is that the keyword I'm using has nothing to do with adult content ..
To be clear, there is a word in the keyword that is often used in a "suspicious way" but the keyword has nothing to do with the adult content ..

SO why Google adwords tool doesn't return the real search volume? And should I worry about using the keyword? Will my website in the future be filtered from the serp or only displayed if the user switches the adult filter off?

Thanks for answering.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

As numerous threads here in the keyword research forum suggest, you can't really look at the numbers that way, especially across different tools.

They all use different criteria and different databases.

#3 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

ok, and what about the filter problem ? when I used wordtracker ONLY?
Thanks

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

No idea. But since Wordtracker has nothing to do with Google and since you're also using the free version which isn't going to provide you with all that much value, then I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

Grab you phrases, set up an adwrods campaign set the bid to be top3 on exact match, and that will quickly tell you waht the real search volume is.

#6 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Nov 28 2009, 06:39 PM) View Post
Grab you phrases, set up an adwrods campaign set the bid to be top3 on exact match, and that will quickly tell you waht the real search volume is.

Okay .. looks interesting .. thanks for the advice, I'll try that for sure.
Do you have any thoughts about the filter thing?

#7 Hank Cowdog

Hank Cowdog

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:Chair, Den, Wylie, Outside Dallas, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Hic @ Nov 29 2009, 08:14 AM) View Post
Okay .. looks interesting .. thanks for the advice, I'll try that for sure.
Do you have any thoughts about the filter thing?

Without knowing the search term, it would be speculation. If we knew the search term, it would be speculation smile.gif

I think you pegged it in your initial post: the phrase in question is used in a "suspicious manner" so Wordtracker included it in their Adult Search list.

Re: Google Search volume - there are several possible (e.g. speculative) reasons: take your pick:
- database flip between searches - the tools hit a different data center than you
- seobook uses the Google API, which taps a different database than the live search
- Google doesn't report exact numbers - popularity is binned into one of a couple dozen ranges (which is why you see the exact same volume for multiple terms)
- broad vs phrase vs exact in doing the search words: one tool uses phrase or broad, but you were comparing to exact

#8 Theo

Theo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:17 AM

Try Market Samurai.

Google it, they have a trial version.

It also looks to me like you are focusing on this one search term.

On top of that, you are aware that a word in this term is considered suspicious. That's playing with fire as well.

That is forgetting that there are billions of search terms and this gives me the impression you want to focus on a single drop while competing against an ocean of water.

Mine the ocean! There are for sure search terms you will find that will perform just as well.

(I would never have thought of "gas" as being a good keyword in the "baby colic" topic, but there we have it, it is!)

Just my 2 cents.

Theo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!