• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Organic Ranking Different Per Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cyrid

cyrid

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

We are an automotive ad agency. I optimized our site to rank high against the phrase "automotive advertising agency". When I google this phrase on my computer, we rank extremely high (usually 1 or 2 on the first page). However, if I google this phrase on someone elses computer in the office, we are typically buried on page 7. Why do I get these different rankings and which one should I believe?

Thanks
Cyrid

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

Because rankings are a poor measurement of success. You can't believe either result since everyone could be seeing completely different sets of results.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

You may also want to check to see if either computer has someone signed into a Google account. Personalization in search has become a much bigger emphasis over the last couple of years. And of course being logged in isn't the only way they could identify a computer. There could be, and quite likely are, different cookies set on the two computers. And beyond that it's highly likely the two search attempts are connecting to completely different datacenters, which of course are highly likely to contain different data sets.

Or as Jill already said, rankings just aren't a very good metric for success. angel_not.gif

#4 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

whilst its true that everyone see's a different set of results (ignoring the personalisation thing for a minute), in general, its not that different between each one. although you have to make sure both machines are set to search the same between global ('web) and country, both are set to return the same amount of results etc.

But yes, sounds like you're logged in to your google account for such as massive difference to be seen, or you're in two different countries smile.gif

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

Another possibility is that the one oddball computer is using custom DNS settings that resolve google.com to a different IP address (I've seen this happen more than once).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!