• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You Prefer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi ..

I heard many times that quality backlinks are better than many other links with less quality (by quality I mean PR) ..

Also, I read on SeoMoz that the number of root domains linking to your website is also important..

That's why I'm confused ..

What do you prefer? 10 PR2 backlinks from different root domains or one PR6 backlink ?

Thanks.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

Since you're talking about toolbar PR which isn't an accurate way to measure real PR your question can't be answered.

However, in terms of real PR, I'd much rather have one link from a page that has built up a lot of authority and trust, than 10 from pages that were not well established or trusted, regardless of whether they were on a home page or not.

I wouldn't believe everything you see at SEOmoz. They have a lot of whacked out theories, in my opinion.

#3 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 25 2009, 09:36 AM) View Post
Since you're talking about toolbar PR which isn't an accurate way to measure real PR your question can't be answered.

Yes of course, I'm talking about the toolbar PR .. Unless you give me a method to measure the real PR, I don't have any other option ..

I just check toolbar PR, the domain age, Goggle and Yahoo backlinks .. That's what I do when I'm checking Page popularity (so any other idea will be welcomed.)

However, in terms of real PR, I'd much rather have one link from a page that has built up a lot of authority and trust, than 10 from pages that were not well established or trusted, regardless of whether they were on a home page or not.

Fair enough .. I appreciate your answer.
So I just go for authority websites links rather than many less important links.

Thanks

I wouldn't believe everything you see at SEOmoz. They have a lot of whacked out theories, in my opinion.

Yes, I don't trust everything I read, but I always think logically .. and when I found something logic , I just follow it ..

Anyway, If I'm confused about something, I know where to ask goodjob.gif

Thanks a lot.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

the domain age
So, what is the "Domain age" then??

#5 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 27 2009, 08:33 AM) View Post
So, what is the "Domain age" then??

The date since the website was up in the server .. checking the web archive .. old websites tend to be more trusted no? (I know that the domain registration date has nothing to do here, but the date since the website was online is important ..)

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,099 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

And how do you know that Google considers that the website is the same "age" as the "web archive" does??

#7 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 27 2009, 11:14 AM) View Post
And how do you know that Google considers that the website is the same "age" as the "web archive" does??

I don't know .. I'm just trying to be logic about it ..
the website age is calculated from the first time it's indexed ..

And logically speaking, it will not be exactly the same age as the web archive calculated .. But it will be at least relative if you can see what I mean (you can make comparisons) ..

For example if I use a website traffic estimator, it will not give me the exact number of visitors .. it will give me a number that is 1/10 or *10 of the real visitors number .. But you still can make comparisons, estimations ..

A website older than another in the web archive has a high chance to be older in the reality .. IMHO ..
So you can make comparisons with your own websites ..

Nothing is the same, nothing is "exact" .. I just make approximations ..

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,099 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

the website age is calculated from the first time it's indexed ..
Or so it is assumed

However:
If "domain age" is such a factor, why do brand new sites and pages rank highly when first indexed, and how would newer sites ever hope to move higher? as they are all "aging" at the same rate.

Certainly the period of existence may be one factor out of many but it is not a significant one. What happens while the pages are getting "old" counts far more.

#9 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

I totally agree with you .. and this is not my point.
I dont know and I don't care if the domain or the website age is an important ranking factor .. What I said, since the beginning is that I check the website age when I link to it .. it's a matter of trust .. I don't trust websites up for only one month or so you see? it's a personal thought .. I'm not saying that everyone shouls think like I do .. You took as way from the subject when speaking about ranking factors, it's another subject.

#10 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,626 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

What I said, since the beginning is that I check the website age when I link to it .. it's a matter of trust .. I don't trust websites up for only one month or so you see?

Of course, that can be faked too. I was recently checking out the backlinks of the competitor of a prospective client, and I found a pile of pseudo-blog sites: they were all single-page Drupal sites with RSS feeds, made up of 2-3 paragraph articles containing a link to what I assume is a client site. The articles had nothing to do with each other, so it's not as if these supposed blogs were about any particular subject, and the articles were all grammatical messes because the words had been re-ordered to avoid being tagged as duplicate content.

And they were relevant to this aspect of this discussion because they almost all had domains made up of hyphen-separated keywords, none of which had anything to do with their content. In other words, whoever owns this link network buys up and uses expired domains because they believe there's additional value -- trust -- associated with them as opposed to just creating new domain names.

And they were relevant to the original question because clearly someone has decided that if they've got enough of these garbage links it's going to give them a boost. Really, the only expense to the owner of the network is buying the domains. Adding content to them is obviously all done automatically. He gets a new client, writes a couple of paragraphs including a link with the requested anchor text, pushes a button, and his software mixes it up to create a hundred or more versions of the text and uploads each one to a different fako blog.

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

Older domains can get into trouble just like younger domains. Domain aging should really be viewed more in terms of "how long has this domain been actively publishing content and attracting links without incurring any fuss from search engines?"

Unencumbered domain experience is more likely to accrue trust than encumbered domain experience, where encumbrance refers to any activity that violates search engine guidelines that is likely to have been detected and associated with the domain.

Most people who ignore or violate search engine guidelines naively assume they are getting away with stuff that they really are not getting away with. Even if you're unaware of search engine guidelines, your domain's behavior is being logged and tracked over time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!