• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordtracker Returns No (0) Results For Key Phrases?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cesces

cesces

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hi there,

I'm having huge trouble understanding the Wordtracker keyword research tool.

When i search for phrases such as 'eating disorder treatment nyc' it says there is no sufficient data or results.

This is the same for almost all the key phrases I enter. The results are impossible. I know there are searches for these because we already rank well organically for these... so i know many of the terms i enter are being search for on a regular basis... why does Wordtracker (and other tools for that matter) say there are no results?

This doesn't make any sense to me, can anyone please explain? It's happening for almost all of my key phrases.

I don't see the use of searching for the broad terms, because they are too broad.

Also, what is the use of putting 'anorexia' and 'treatment' and 'new york' on separate lines in the same search? For example when i do that i get results including 'new york' but not 'anorexia'.... and i don't see the usefulness in that...? (That's a genuine question, hopefully you don't mistake it for a sarcastic or cocky one).

Thanks in advance for anyone's helpful insight....

cesces

#2 mald

mald

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(cesces @ Nov 25 2009, 04:40 AM) View Post
Hi there,

I'm having huge trouble understanding the Wordtracker keyword research tool.

When i search for phrases such as 'eating disorder treatment nyc' it says there is no sufficient data or results.

Hi Cesces,

just to introduce myself, I'm Mal Darwen and I work for Wordtracker Customer Support. I'm sorry you're having trouble with this, but I suspect that the issue is that you're looking for searches with a fairly tight parameter ('nyc') which will limit the number of results you get considerably. Given that Wordtracker presents just under 1% of US search, it's to be expected that geographic results are going to be low if they appear at all. This is often the case with all keyword research tools. However, our resident SEO expert, Mark Nunney has devised a method using PPC to establish search volume for geographic keywords (with Wordtracker's help) which I'll outline below. Before I do, however, I'd say that it's probably worth entering your seed terms without a geographic element - with the one you mentioned, the new Keyword Tool presented 128 keywords on broad match. Including plurals and misspellings (and disabling the adult filter) presented a further 40 keywords.

Anyway, to the method:

The best way is to do some PPC adverts.

Choose the terms you bid on wisely – for example, if you are a restaurant, find lots of relevant generic terms like restaurant, diner, dining, pizzeria, whatever works for your product. You can use the Wordtracker Related Keywords tool for this.

Use Wordtracker to find negative keywords to *not* bid on – there is a very useful article on finding negative keywords at:

www.wordtracker.com/academy/negative-keywords

Combine your generic keywords with all your relevant geographic searches, eg chicago, different areas in chicago.

You now have a set of keywords to bid on (generic x geographic), eg restaurant x chicago. You also some negative keywords, eg 'hooters' so you don't bid for 'hooters chicago restaurant'.

Now set up your PPC account and limit your budget but set your ad groups to be 'broad match'.

Look at the reports, they will show you what searches are being made.

I hope you find this useful, but please do let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best,

Mal

#3 cesces

cesces

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi Mal,

Thanks so much for such a thoughtful reply, it is extremely helpful! (I was going to resort to PPC anyway, having been up all night on all the keyword tool and become convinced something was wrong).

There are a few things that still confuse me though...

1) I can't believe that "marriage counseling staten island" which is one of the results that appear when i type in "marriage counseling" was only searched for 13 times over 365 days, and that it was searched for more than "marriage counseling new york" or "marriage counseling manhattan" in that same time period....!?!?

2) Am i right in taking those numbers to be the total number of times within 365 days?

3) I've read repeatedly not to take any keywords data as gold, and just to just use it as a guide, but another example of really odd and misleading data is the following: I have a website for a center owned by a minor celebrity, and that site get's upwards to 80+ hits per MONTH just for their name, and has done for years... yet I just tested Wordtracker by performing a search for her name and it shows only 14 searches in a 365 day period for her name alone.

4) the client that I am researching for at the moment wants to know whether she should use "keyword + city" or "keyword + city abrv." or "city + keyword2" etc etc... what's the best way to find the most searched for term if you recommend eliminating locations from my phrases? Just PPC? An old client I designed a site for years ago had a pet grooming business and I remember when she hired an SEO expert, they told her that certain keyphrase variations (which included locations) were searched for way above others.... how could he know this?

5) I really appreciate your time and response. I'm also sure once i get to understand how this all works it will be much easier... but right now i feel disappointed that I can't seem to get the data that I thought would be readily available....

6) one last question... does Wordtracker only show you the TOP 1000 searched phrases?

Cesces

Edited by cesces, 25 November 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

cesces, since as far as I know Wordtracker doesn't use the major search engines as a source for their data, you're not going to see the kind of numbers you'd expect.

#5 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

It's known that wordtracker isn't accurate for keywords with low search volume .. It gather information from two search engines (forgot the names) that together, have less than 1% of the market share ..

[post snipped]

Edited by Jill, 27 November 2009 - 12:16 PM.
removed offtopic part, feel free to repost as a new topic

#6 cesces

cesces

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Jill & Hic,

Seems odd to me that Wordtracker is the most praised research tool out there then. Less than 1% is barely anything. Given my particular project and tests, it seems like not only is Wordtracker pretty useless to me, but if I was even getting any results, I shouldn't even use them as a guide.. it would be completely misleading. I'm surely just ignorant on howto use the tool best but I can't make sense of it.

Does anyone have any insight to my other questions?

Thank again for all your input, i really appreciate it.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

Seems odd to me that Wordtracker is the most praised research tool out there then.

Since when? They were the first kwr tool (besides the awful GoTo/Overture) tool.

Unfortunately, Google is killing most other KWR tools since you're getting info straight from them. But other tools such as WT do have some other interesting functions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!