• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

A Curious Observation With Google...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

In the last few months I've noticed Google delivering the home page of my client's sites when it has more appropriate pages in its index.

For example, I have a page named 'police-dog-training.htm'. It is optimized for 'police dog training', and a few other pages in the site point to it using that as anchor text.

There are no external links to the site with that as anchor text.

The page has useful, unique, content.

When I search for the term police dog training - the home page comes up. The home page only makes one brief reference to the subject and is NOT the best page to land on for the subject.

Originally it was just one site - now I see this happening with a few unrelated client's sites. The most recent one...the home page doesn't even have the relevant keyword in it's text or title - Google is picking it up from drop down nav and placing it #2 in the SERPS! Yet it's ignoring an entire page devoted to the subject

Anyone else have this problem?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

Forum member adibranch has mentioned this a lot in some previous threads here.

It's not uncommon and is something that seems to have always happened in the 14+ years since I've been doing SEO.

The main reason is likely that the home page has a lot more link popularity than the inner page. How are you linking to the targeted page? Is it linked to from your main nav. or is it buried within the site architecture?

If you're not telling the search engines it's important, they have no way of knowing that it is.

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 24 2009, 03:26 PM) View Post
How are you linking to the targeted page? Is it linked to from your main nav. or is it buried within the site architecture?

It's linked to from the main nav, as an item in the drop down menu (in both the sites I mentioned). It's also linked to from the text of top level pages.

It may be my imagination...but I swear this has gotten worse of late.

#4 linkb8

linkb8

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Sounds like your site architecture is fine. Jill's right you're homepage is the only page with enough SEO value to list. Do more off-site SEO, get targeted anchor text to deep pages, and it will sort itself out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!