• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Tracking Pop-up Referrers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

As some of you may have noticed, I added a pop-up window to the forum (to entice people to subscribe to the SEO newsletter) and to a few key article pages here. You shouldn't see the pop up more than once a week if you see it via any forum page. (Let me know if you do as I may have done something wrong.)

In reviewing my Google Analytics, it's showing 100% of the visits to the pop up page as having no referrer. I'm assuming that's because it's set to automatically open when one visits certain pages.

Is there a way to track which page triggered the pop up so that it shows as a referrer? The way it is now, I lose the referral data (like keywords).

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

The only way that leaps to mind to do this would be to capture either the page (on your site) or referrer data via a script, then append this information to your popup window address. Of course it still won't show up in the normal browser referral location (can't do that, there are security issues) but you could then look for it and manipulate the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.