• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Analytics - Intelligence Beta

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Anyone seen this? From a quick poke around it seems to alert you to changes in predefined metrics (predefined by G or by you)

Looks quite interesting, although I'm not sure how to use it for anything, or if it's useful at all - guess I'll have to keep an eye on it and see?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

It just recently was enabled in my account as well. It does look kind of interesting, but like you, I haven't had a chance to play with it too much.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

I saw it, and glanced at it. But haven't yet had a chance to dig into it at all. Hey, it's the Christmas season and in the middle of all that entails I'm also totally revamping my office. lol.gif So less free time than normal the last week.

My very, very initial impressions are that it could be quite helpful for folks who are dedicated stats junkies. But for everybody else it runs the risk of creating information overload. Especially if people make the (in my opinion) extreme mistake of trying to analyze and adjust a marketing campaign based upon daily or even weekly data. You know, when there is no actual validity to the data?

As a for instance for one of my sites it got enabled on it had some (to some people) interesting alerts for one of the Goals I have set up for that domain. Namely in the Goal Value. On one day it's reporting some astounding numbers, like that the Goal Value for converting traffic from Bing was up 500%. And that the Goal Value of converting traffic from all Organic search was up 315%. And that Goal Value for New Visitors was up 293%. All of this without a single change having been made to the site in the last several months.

That's all well and good. But with the Bing traffic you're looking at a total sample size of 163 visits, which simply isn't enough to make any informed decisions. The same is true for all Organic traffic and New Visitor traffic. And if I didn't realize data validity was highly questionable I might start making some bad decisions.

Those little snapshots are just about as relevant as the one on the same day that said my New Visits traffic was down 10% from the Philippines. giggle.gif Sure I get business .ph but my daily traffic from there is usually only about 100 new visitors. So those 8 people that didn't show up one day doesn't really tell me much at all.

The moral here being that it'll take some time for folks to start figuring out the best way to use the data. I like having it, but I'm going to have to get used to it and probably set up some custom alerts to make it really useful. And I wade around in analytics numbers like this just about every day. So the stock automatic stuff is probably going to end up confusing a lot of people, or worse yet causing them to make bad business decisions based upon incomplete information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.