• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Choose Keywords From Google Adwords Keyword Tool?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SBwebx

SBwebx

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hi Everyone

I have found keywords with No search volume according to Google Adwords keyword tool, performing very well.

Hows it possible if they have zero search count?

Anyone having proper answer to explain it?

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:48 AM

I have found keywords with No search volume according to Google Adwords keyword tool, performing very well.
Do you mean you are targeting these keyphrases and getting good traffic?

The problem with G! keyword tool is that their metrics are based on such large volumes that what they might call 'not very much' to you and I , might say is a nice little visitor stream.

Plus, a few green blobs , doesn't really represent much, even where they give the count for keyphrases that month, i'm not sure how acurate it is.

I used the tool found what appeared to have a high search volume, yet no competition, updated my page accordingly, and I get bugger all trafic from that keyphrases, so how did Google show it being searched for alot, if I get no visitors for it?

I find quite a lot of numbers supplied by G! are bogus and mean nothing, it's just a number, if you have found a keyword, that you are optimised for and is bringing you good visitors, who cares what crappy number the keyword tool says, it's about results and RIO , not Google metrics!

#3 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

SBwebx

Always best to start of with looking at tips for beginners section

And have a good look around there are plenty of articles on the subject if you search a little.

PS welcome to the forum.

#4 WesMcDermott

WesMcDermott

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hi SbWebX,

Google is well known for supplying sketchy data, your best bet is to just take them with a pich of salt. Use them as a guideline that's it. Make sure you check for both broad and exact searches as they can often throw up better results in terms of numbers. But again, take them as they come, don't obsess. The fact is, Google won't show the smaller searched terms anyway, just because of the fact they like people to fight it out over the terms that cost more per click.

Look at your own analytics data, and you'll see how bogus some of the numbers Google provides are. If you look deep in your analytics you may even discover keywords that you never thought of.

Wes

#5 omahonydonnelly

omahonydonnelly

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:22 AM

As said above, it's best to use the Google Keyword Tool just as a guideline. Don't forget that the niche and very specific phrases may be the best phrases for your site, even though fewer people search on them, because they are more specifically related to your topic and the visitors to your site coming via those phrases are more likely to be looking for exactly what you are offering and will more likely convert to an enquiry or sale.

#6 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Yesterday I added some keywords that google suggest to a PPC campaign, and today the stats are telling me to remove then because the search volume is so low.

So I think that sums it up for me.

#7 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

lol - tomsk have you any idea whe G! would suggests you remove and even deactivate keywords that don't have what it considers high search traffic?

You would think you could target what ever keywords you so desire regardless of search volumes, wouldn't you?

#8 SBwebx

SBwebx

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

Hi All

Its true that you can target keywords regardless of whatever search volume Google Ad Words shows. One should not completely rely on and take decisions according to the Ad Words. It can be merely used to get an overview or an idea of what type of keywords you choosing. I have practical example with me. I am working on a PPC Campaign for which I preferred taking keywords according to my Services only even if Ad words is showing very low or even zero search volume for most of the specific keywords. But it doesn't matter much for me as those keywords are delivering good results.

So use this tool just for the sake of guidelines.

#9 linkb8

linkb8

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

1st off define "good traffic". For some small sites, good traffic could be 5 visitors/day from your top keyword. For some successful niche sites a good keyword could get at least 25/day and a top keyword at least 100 visitors/day. I have listed 1st for keywords with a search volume of 110,000 and 14,000 and got 10 times more traffic from the keyword that was the keyword tool said had 14,000 searches/mo, no joke, and that's of course using exact match. I still use the keyword tool very frequently, but the numbers are more of a general value for comparison rather than hard and fast stats. You'll have to spend alot of time looking at keywords in your industry to figure out what kind of value a certain range of search volumes will get for you. For some industries the numbers search numbers seem higher but they'll get you the same amount of traffic if you list 1st when compared to another industry with lower search numbers. It can be deceiving and it takes some time and trial and error before you'll know what a good keyword is in your industry, and that goes for more than just search volume numbers.

#10 cesces

cesces

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Nov 23 2009, 07:15 AM) View Post
lol - tomsk have you any idea whe G! would suggests you remove and even deactivate keywords that don't have what it considers high search traffic?

You would think you could target what ever keywords you so desire regardless of search volumes, wouldn't you?

I believe it's because It's bad business for Google to have advertisers investing time or money in ads that don't work, either due to low search volume or poorly implemented ads (bad text or irrelevant landing page). Unless user performing search and advertiser placing ad are both happy, both look elsewhere... but them suggesting the keywords to you is odd...

#11 Mumtaz

Mumtaz

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:29 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to get a exact competition on a particular keywords in google adword keyword tool? If yes then how? And what is the strategies to select a keyword for small business..

Please give your valuable suggestion so, that i can add to my knowledge.

Thanks! a Lot

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

Have you looked at the pinned thread here in the keyword research forum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!