• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Want To Add Keyword Phrase Entitled Forum

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bmatexas

bmatexas

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:32 AM

Want to add a forum to my web site. The title of the forum will be a keyword phrase, that will coincide with the same keyword phrase utilized on the main and/or index page.

One, should I just create a directory and name it with this keyword phrase or two, entitle the directory 'forum', then entitle the forum with the keyword phrase.

Wondering, too, if I would do better by creating a sub domain for this project and if so, what would be the logistics as with the above concerns.

If I knew it all, I would be rich and retired. Thanks, Bryce

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:17 AM

should I just create a directory and name it with this keyword phrase or two, entitle the directory 'forum', then entitle the forum with the keyword phrase.

yes why not.. it wont make the blindest bit of diffference anyway. Forums are notoriously bad in terms of SEO and you'll be lucky if anything other than the forum homepage page gets indexed anyway smile.gif

Ino ther words dont fret it. Leave your site to attract the traffic and the forum to serve the visitors. If your forums gets found along the way for a term contained in a thread or post.. marvellous.

#3 bmatexas

bmatexas

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the reply, will do.

QUOTE(adibranch @ Nov 16 2009, 05:17 AM) View Post
yes why not.. it wont make the blindest bit of diffference anyway. Forums are notoriously bad in terms of SEO and you'll be lucky if anything other than the forum homepage page gets indexed anyway smile.gif

Ino ther words dont fret it. Leave your site to attract the traffic and the forum to serve the visitors. If your forums gets found along the way for a term contained in a thread or post.. marvellous.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Forums are notoriously bad in terms of SEO and you'll be lucky if anything other than the forum homepage page gets indexed anyway

You are surely joking, right?

Forums typically get thousands if not hundreds of thousands of pages indexed. We've got nearly 10,000 forum URLs indexed here and a good portion of our search engine traffic comes into forum pages.

As to the original question, naming it as a directory /forum is usually fine. A subdomain is also fine. It's really more of a business issue as it's all the same to the search engines.

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

this forum as you well know, has got more authority and links to it than most others. But, lets take for example, '[url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url]', which you have set up to be promoted on a daily basis smile.gif . I couldnt find this anywhere for the term, or 'tips for seo's', and even with "search engine optimization [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url]" it was down at around 18 in google. despite the low competitive term.

Forum indexing sucks.

Plus, it depends on the forum software. Simple Machines and Vbulletin are generally pretty bad (simply machines doesnt even index past the home page, and VBulletin relies on archiving for most indexable pages).

#6 bmatexas

bmatexas

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

Hi Jill,

Ok, name the directory 'forum', then the forum would be entitled, as per the keyword phrase.

Hope that my being 61 doesn't show.

Bryce

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 16 2009, 11:20 AM) View Post
You are surely joking, right?

Forums typically get thousands if not hundreds of thousands of pages indexed. We've got nearly 10,000 forum URLs indexed here and a good portion of our search engine traffic comes into forum pages.

As to the original question, naming it as a directory /forum is usually fine. A subdomain is also fine. It's really more of a business issue as it's all the same to the search engines.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Forum indexing sucks.

You seem to be confused about the differences between indexing and ranking and are using the terms interchangeably. Why would we want to rank for "Tips for Newbies"? We link to it so that newbies won't keep asking the same questions over and over again. But the content on that page is not optimized for any specific phrases.

But the page it's own, is most certainly indexed. True, it's not optimized to rank for anything, but that's not the fault of the forum software, but more my fault for not bothering to optimize it for anything.

Without any optimization, that particular page has still been found in Google under 48 different keyword phrases in the past month.

#8 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:29 AM

agreed, I should have referred to ranking in my first post, but i certainly dont confuse the two, as you well know biggrin.gif I did state 'Forums are notoriously bad in terms of SEO', which the plain fact is, they are. The outputted cource code is appalling.
Because of this, ranking (corrected) is terrible depending on which one you use. Vbulletin isnt brilliant, SMF is appalling, and its difficult to get anything other than the first page indexed with that one. PHPBB is better, but prone to spammers. I'm suprised bots FIND the links, let alone follow them.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

The outputted cource code is appalling.
Because of this, ranking (corrected) is terrible depending on which one you use.

Since the code is of no consequence to search engines as long as they can find and index the actual content of the forum, I disagree with this statement.

And since our analytics show tons of search engine traffic directly to forum pages, the point is moot.

#10 bmatexas

bmatexas

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Semantics are one thing, but success speaks for itself.
-Colin Powell

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 18 2009, 07:04 AM) View Post
Since the code is of no consequence to search engines as long as they can find and index the actual content of the forum, I disagree with this statement.

And since our analytics show tons of search engine traffic directly to forum pages, the point is moot.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(bmatexas @ Nov 18 2009, 08:33 AM) View Post
Semantics are one thing, but success speaks for itself.
-Colin Powell

And that relates to this thread how, exactly?

#12 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 18 2009, 08:04 AM) View Post

i wouldnt expect anything else smile.gif

ps the edit was a sandboxing question, but you know that already.

Edited by adibranch, 19 November 2009 - 07:40 AM.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

ps the edit was a sandboxing question, but you know that already.

What edit and where's the sandboxing question? I think I've missed the plot here as I have no idea what you're referring to.

#14 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

We have a lot of high-ranking threads on my company's forums.

They're not usually going to be optimized for money terms, but they still drive a decent amount of sales from keyphrases our main site isn't targeting.

#15 blackirish.ken

blackirish.ken

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Nov 18 2009, 05:29 AM) View Post
agreed, I should have referred to ranking in my first post, but i certainly dont confuse the two, as you well know biggrin.gif I did state 'Forums are notoriously bad in terms of SEO', which the plain fact is, they are. The outputted cource code is appalling.
Because of this, ranking (corrected) is terrible depending on which one you use. Vbulletin isnt brilliant, SMF is appalling, and its difficult to get anything other than the first page indexed with that one. PHPBB is better, but prone to spammers. I'm suprised bots FIND the links, let alone follow them.

there are thousands of "Boston SEO" footer links on every page of this forum.

highrankings.com ranks #4 for "Boston SEO."

kinda pokes holes in the "forums are notoriously bad in terms of SEO" argument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.