• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

# Of Pages Index

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acadia

acadia

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

In July when a SEO company told me how to check the # of pages that were getting indexed by Google we had about 1,000. Now we have about 487. When I look at my Google Account Webmaster Tools section our sitemap that the Robot communicates with submitted about 850 pages a week or so ago.

5 years in business on-line and we still aren't getting the rankings we want for the niche brands we sell. For example, keyword: royal apothic. We are only one of 4 on-line retailers selling it (and the first one to have it available on-line) yet we are on page 3. Now the other retailers who are selling it are on the first page. We had the brand available for sale about 30 days before anyone else on-line.

Obviously I'm getting a little frustrated with this type of scenario. Our Websmaster doesn't claim to be an SEO expert so he really isn't any help. I contacted one of the most reputable SEO companies around (sorry not this one) b/c a friend reco'd I call them...and they said we are doing everything right. Not that I want to waste money on some BS'er who tells me we should do it different and then no results happen....but if someone really can make a difference -- it will be worth it. We are hand to mouth with our funds each month so it's a risky investment for us.

I appreciate the formum's input.

Thanks!

Lisa

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

This is happening to a lot of sites right now (including several of my own). It is a periodic event and is usually nothing to worry about. It usually just means that Google is rebuilding its index, recrawling the Web, etc.

If you see no improvement in another couple of weeks, check back here to see if other people have noticed improvement. If they have, then maybe you have a more serious issue.

In the meantime, it sometimes helps to acquire more links to your site from other, more trusted sites, but I would not go hog wild nuts with a link building campaign.

What's most important is the amount of traffic your site receives and the number of conversions. If those are relatively unchanged, don't worry.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:23 AM

Lisa, I don't know who this SEO company you contacted is, but they gave you bad info (assuming you paid for it). There most definitely are things you could be doing better on your site. You've got a great start, but many of the basic SEO elements are not in place.

Please read our Tips for Newbies for starters which should provide you with most of what you need to do. But if you don't want to sift through all that, our Recession Buster Website review would provide you with a list of things that you should be doing or that you need to change in order to increase your targeted traffic.

Don't worry about the number of pages indexed, and don't even worry about rankings. But do worry about your traffic for specific keywords as well as your conversions.

#4 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

Don't worry about the number of pages indexed, and don't even worry about rankings. But do worry about your traffic for specific keywords as well as your conversions.

Jill, i know we have differences in opinions about things, but i keep seeing you say things like this. I'm not attacking you in any way, but you one piece of recurring advice you give is 'focus on traffic and conversions' . Yet, in this case, the number of indexed pages relates directly to number of referring keyterms, and therefore directly affects the amount of organic traffic. So, to disregard it is surely bad advice? Many of these unindexed pages may contain hundreds or thousands of potential additional terms. By ignoring the fact that only 50% of your pages are indexed, you are losing out on masses of potential visitors to the site.
Surely the advice therefore (in this instance) would be to get as many pages indexed as possible, not ignore those that aren't.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

Yet, in this case, the number of indexed pages relates directly to number of referring keyterms, and therefore directly affects the amount of organic traffic. So, to disregard it is surely bad advice?

That might be true IF the numbers you see with a site: operator were true numbers. But they aren't and vary widely depending on what Google is doing at the moment.

That said, i always advocate doing the site: operator command at regular intervals to make sure nothing crazy is going on with your site. For instance if you know you have 200 pages and G says you have 200,000 that's not good. Or conversely if you know you have 200,000 and G says you have 200, that's not good.

But it has to be looked at as the big picture. If you get bogged down with the little details you will be worrying about things that will not provide you with any bottom line actions.

In other words, do you really need your millionth and 1 page indexed? Is it going to be found for any keywords? If it's not being indexed, it's probably because you're not telling Google it's important because you buried it deeply within your site. If that millionth and 1 page really is important, then unbury it.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

You could also use a sitemap XML file, not only will it help with any duplicate content issue. but it will also tell you how many pages you have submited and how many are indexed via the GWMT.

I don't trust anything that comes from using operators in the search, I thought G! witheld the true numbers returned with these operatos and with good reason.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

I would definitely trust my analytics over whatever the site operator is showing me.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:41 AM

I don't trust anything that comes from using operators in the search, I thought G! witheld the true numbers returned with these operatos and with good reason.

Exactly. Which is what I wanted Lisa to understand. While the number of pages indexed can be an indicator of things, there are often many more important things to fix up and pay attention to before that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.