• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Analytics

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mountainbound

mountainbound

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

I'm using Google Analytics more and more frequently (as I'm sure many others on this site are too), and am being asked to give reports on the data. However much I like G, I'm no fan of their help section, and can't be sure what is "good" in terms of usage, bounce rates, traffic etc.

I have many questions about the Analytics tool itself, as well as how to interpret the data, and wondered if there was a board on this site where Analytics students and masters could exchange.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Yes. And I've just moved your question there. So ask away.

Realize though that there are rarely set-in-stone answers that apply across the board. More times than not it comes down to what the goals are when interpreting the data. That said, you're completely right in looking for help in how to interpret the data. It's difficult, and important.

For instance I have and could make a great argument for a 100% "bounce" rate being not only acceptable but desirable. But the goals and the circumstances have to be right for this to be true, because most times a 100% bounce rate would indicate significant problems.

#3 MaKa

MaKa

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

As Randy says, it is really difficult to give generic numbers. And even within a site the numbers can differ. For example a 100% bounce rate on the contact us page isn't necessarily an issue - thinking of visitors who look up your phone number and give you a call. However, imagine the same page, but your goal is not to have customers call you, you want them to email you. A 100% bounce rate on this page would make the story completely different.

I recommend my clients to think of measurable goals. For some websites this is very easy, for example an online sale: goal = sale. For other websites this can be slightly more tricky. Even if you don't sell any products online, enquiries are usually good goals. You want to track each enquiry if possible. For most smaller clients this includes successful submission of web forms and clicks on your email address. You could extend this with call back functionalities or specific web only phone numbers so you can track the number of calls initiating from your site. Once you've got your goals setup you can look at the difference between visitors who reach a goal and those who doesn't. You can see whether where they are coming from makes a difference. And don't forget you can look at trends over time. The longer the period you've collected data over, the better you can anticipate future trends.

Just my 2 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.