• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What To Do When Your Keyword Search Return 'not Enough Data'?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robyn

Robyn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hi there
I'm a total SEO green-horn.

I've recently been trying (operative word: trying) to use Google Adwords to search for keywords for some travel articles I've been comissioned to write. The topics are very specific to South Africa (obscure small town festivals and the like), so that when I plug the name of the festival or event into Adwords I often get a 'not enough data', for both local and global volumes. My search is set to English, South Africa.

Even after trying (guessing) 4-5 variations on the main theme (including trying to misspell the word), I either get no results, or results that are totally irrelevant. Further, I can't make the search too broad (this returns even fewer relevant results), nor am I allowed to use search terms that are too competitive or too generic (client stipulation).

So my query is twofold:
1. How do you get relevant keywords for a topic that possibly very few users are searching for?
2. What is Plan B, if a search returns, 'not enough data' after a couple of attempts? How far do you deviate from the main topic and still achieve keywords that are relevant.

Hope this post makes sense?

#2 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Robyn @ Nov 11 2009, 04:12 PM) View Post
So my query is twofold:
1. How do you get relevant keywords for a topic that possibly very few users are searching for?

When tools fails to offer any insight, what left is your imagination. What would someone type in a search engine to find information you're writing about?
Look into other places on the web and see what people are saying and asking, like forums, etc.

2. What is Plan B, if a search returns, 'not enough data' after a couple of attempts? How far do you deviate from the main topic and still achieve keywords that are relevant.

Same answer as above. smile.gif

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:02 AM

I'm thinking that you need to do more marketing, in general, to increase awareness about the sort of product you have.

#4 RayWrites

RayWrites

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

Try some grass-roots marketing: ask as many people as you can how they would search online for the event/festival. If you ask enough people, you should start to see a pattern and formulate a set of workable keywords and phrases.

#5 Robyn

Robyn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(RayWrites @ Nov 20 2009, 12:36 AM) View Post
Try some grass-roots marketing: ask as many people as you can how they would search online for the event/festival. If you ask enough people, you should start to see a pattern and formulate a set of workable keywords and phrases.

Thanks Ray, this is a good suggestion for future.
Robyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!