• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Subdomain Treatment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scamsel

scamsel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

hi, i had a question regarding subdomains. with most hosting companies it seems you are assigned a primary domain and for any additional domains you add on a subdomain is automatically created for you

for example, say your primary domain is www.computers.com and then you want to add another domain, say www.music.com.

a subdomain is then created called www.music.computers.com (which brings you to the www.music.com site).

my question is how does this affect google in crawling these different sites? so it will crawl computers.com and music.com and index those based on the content on those individual sites, but then when it gets to www.music.computers.com, it will find the content on www.music.com, but since it is crawling the subdomain url will that affect your original www.computers.com info?

very confusing to me how this would be handled. basically do you have to have an seperate hosting account for each website you have that is about different content?

thanks for any help, hope i made sense in my question

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

As long as your server is configured properly the search engines will only know it's a domain not a subdomain.

#3 scamsel

scamsel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 6 2009, 09:10 AM) View Post
As long as your server is configured properly the search engines will only know it's a domain not a subdomain.

thanks jill. so just to clarify. the fact that the music.computers is a subdomain of computers.com, doesn't really matter, a search engine will typically treat the music.computers.com as a seperate and independent website?

and what are you referring to exactly about the server configuration?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

You'll want either one or the other address to be the one that shows up for the search engines scamsel. Not both.

A properly configured server would automatically 301 redirect requests for the music.computers.com to the www.music.com address. I believe that's what Jill is saying.

#5 WSO

WSO

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(scamsel @ Nov 5 2009, 05:46 PM) View Post
with most hosting companies it seems you are assigned a primary domain and for any additional domains you add on a subdomain is automatically created for you

Scamsel, I'm not sure I'd agree that "most" hosting companies behave that way. I suppose that for some, that might be the only way to set up a new domain without any additional cost, but all of the hosting companies we work with allow us to add multiple domains to one account. Some charge a nominal fee for that, others do not.

If the only way to create a second web site on your account is to have a subdomain created, I'd look into some other hosts. If I was the owner of the music.com site, I would not want the url to be music.computers.com.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!